This is an easy and quick recipe for apple chickpea salad. Pan-roasted chickpea is combined with apples, celery and served with avocado peanut butter dressing.
Apple chickpea salad is one of my favorite lunch dishes to make for several reasons:
- It only take minutes to make
- It’s protein-rich
- It’s healthy
- It’s filling
But not only that! This apple chickpea salad is naturally gluten-free and also vegan.
Now I don’t have that many vegan recipes on the blog but these few are worth mentioning:
- Spicy Thai Pumpkin Soup
- Shaved Zucchini Salad
- Mashed Potato Flatbread – The flatbread is my absolute favorite! It is easy to make and everyone loves it!
I love them because they are all quick and easy to make. Like this apple chickpea salad!
By the way, I am using cooked chickpea to save time. If you prefer cooking with dry chickpea, then go ahead and use that one (cook it according to package instructions).
How to make apple chickpea salad
Start with pan-roasting the chickpea. This takes about 4 minutes on low-medium heat. You want to toss the chickpea around from time to time. Right before end, stir in the paprika and let it roast for a minute. Turn off the heat and add the lemon juice and chopped parsley. Stir around.
Now coarsely grate the apples (I also peel the skin but you don’t have to, especially when using organic or homegrown apples) and thinly slice the celery.
Combine all the ingredients in a serving bowl and you are ready to serve. This apple chickpea salad tastes delicious on its own, but if you like to dress yours, here is the dressing idea for you:
Avocado + peanut butter + water + extra virgin olive oil + soy sauce (optional) = avocado peanut butter dressing.
It’s quick and you will add some healthy fats to your diet as well as some extra protein.
Tips for making apple chickpea salad
- Lentils can also be added to this salad.
- The avocado peanut butter dressing can be easily doubled or omitted (if this is not your thing). If you are looking for a different dressing flavor, I have a recipe for Goat Cheese Salad on the blog. That could be a great substitution.
- The pan-roasted chickpea is the star of this easy apple chickpea salad. If you choose not to pan-roast it, you will be losing a lot of flavor.
- If you like cilantro, you could use it instead of parsley. However, I personally prefer parsley in this recipe.
- I highly recommend using extra virgin olive oil, especially when making the dressing. (this post tells you a bit more on why extra virgin olive oil is the best).
I have had this apple chickpea salad recipe on the blog for a couple of years now and I figured it was the highest time to give it an update. I re-shot the photos and also created a new dressing to go with it (for those who love to dress their salads).
I hope you give it a go, guys!
Apple Chickpea Salad
For Apple Chickpea Salad:
- In a frying pan/skillet, heat the oil. Add the chickpeas and roast for about 4 minutes, tossing it from time to time. Add paprika, and toss the chickpea around until completely coated.
- Roast for about a minute before turning off the heat. Combine this with lemon juice and roughly chopped parsley. Season it with little salt and a pinch of pepper.
- Peel (optional) and coarsely grate the apples, thinly slice the celery. Throw these into a serving bowl altogether with the roasted chickpea. Give it a stir.
- For the dressing: Combine all the ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Add more liquid, if needed.
- The dressing is completely optional.
- You will get about ½ cup of the dressing.
- This recipe yields about 2 pounds/900 g of salad.