Homemade Meatball Soup
This is a recipe for hearty homemade meatball soup. Tender meatballs made from scratch, vegetables and chicken stock are turned into a bowl of deliciousness!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time45 mins
For the soup:
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil , see note 1
- 2 Carrots , shredded
- 1 Large Celery Stalk , diced
- 1 Leek , diced
- 1 Parsnip , diced
- 1 Large Potato , diced
- 4 cups Chicken Stock
- Fresh Dill to Taste
- Salt and Black Pepper to Taste
For the meatballs:
- ½ pound Ground Pork / Beef, see note 2
- 1 Small Egg , see note 5
- 2 tbsp Breadcrumbs
- ½ cup Onion , finely chopped (50g)
- ½ tsp Salt
- A pinch of Black Pepper , generous
Heat up the oil in a large pot and throw in shredded carrots, diced celery, leek and parsnip. Sauté them for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Pour in the stock, cover the pot with a lid and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes before adding the potatoes in.
Meanwhile: In a bowl, mix together all the meatball ingredients until well combined. Roll the mixture into small meatballs (I used about a tablespoon of the mixture per ball). Add them to the soup and cook until both the potatoes and meatballs are cooked through.
At last stir in finely chopped dill. Taste the soup and salt and pepper, if needed.
- Vegetable oil can be substituted with sunflower or olive oil.
- Ground pork, beef, turkey or a mix of these can be used to make these meatballs.
- If you don’t want to make meatballs from scratch, buy ready-made ones. If using frozen ones, cook them until they are ready.
- For more tips, I recommend reading the whole post.
- Use a small egg. If you use a large egg, it might be difficult to form the meatballs. If not sure what size eggs you bought, beat it in a bowl first and add only half of it.
- If you feel that the soup is way too thick to your liking, add an extra cup of stock or water.
** Happy Foods Tube is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and links to Amazon.com.
Homemade Meatball Soup
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 162
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 8g50%
Vitamin A 4475IU90%
Vitamin C 16mg19%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.