Butter Cookies with Hazelnuts
Butter cookies with hazelnuts are the perfect Holiday cookies. Make them well ahead to enjoy stress-free Christmas entertaining. They will also make the perfect edible Christmas gift!
Prep Time35 mins
Cook Time8 mins
Total Time43 mins
Servings: 50 Cookies
Dry-toast hazelnut on a hot pan for about 5 minutes, tossing them around occasionally. Wrap them in a kitchen towel and rub them with your hand to remove their skins (some of them might not come off but that’s OK). You can skip this step if using peeled hazelnuts!
Bring water to a boil. Throw the hazelnuts in and cook for 15 minutes. Drain the water and let them cool completely.
Meanwhile: Sift flour and powdered sugar into a large bowl or onto a clean work top. Mix with a wooden spoon. Add egg yolk and mix again.
Add chilled diced butter. Using your hands, break the butter and mix it with flour (rub it into the flour) until the mixture looks like a crumble mix. Now, form the dough. This will take about 3-5 minutes.
Once you have formed nice dough, knead in the cooked and cooled hazelnuts.
Divide the dough into 3 or 4 parts and roll each into about 1.5-inch (3-4 centimeters) thick sausage. Place each sausage into a zip-lock bag or wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
Preheat oven to 340° Fahrenheit (170° Celsius).
Take the dough sausages out from the fridge. Cut each into a ¼ inch (0.6 centimeters) slices and transfer these onto baking sheet lined with baking parchment (if you have non-stick, you don’t have to use baking parchment). Leave enough space between them.
Bake for 8 minutes or until the bottoms are golden brown or when you see the edges turning brown.
When ready, take them out and let them cool before coating them in powdered sugar. They will keep in air-tight container for up to 2 weeks.
- Hazelnuts – I used long-shaped hazelnuts (from my parents’ garden). In shops you usually buy round-shaped ones. If you can, choose skinless ones. This will save you about 10 minutes of prep. You can also substitute them with walnuts or pecans (if you use one of these nuts, you don’t need to remove their skin but you still have to boil them in water).
- Butter – Use 2 sticks of butter less 2 tablespoons. Also make sure to use real butter, not butter substitutes.
- Baking takes about 8 minutes per batch. This may be slightly different for you. It will depend on the thickness of your cookies and also on your oven. I highly recommend babysit the oven when making them for the first time. They will be soft when you take them out but will harden as they cool down. They can be slightly golden around edges but not too much.
- I used a Wilton cookie sheet with dimensions of 15x10 inch/38x26 centimeters and I fit 24 cookies on one.
- For more information and tips, please have a look at the full post above this recipe card.
** Happy Foods Tube is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and links to Amazon.com.
Butter Cookies with Hazelnuts
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 45
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 2g13%
Vitamin A 118IU2%
Vitamin C 1mg1%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.