Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
This is a recipe for creamy tomato basil soup from scratch. It reheats well and can be prepared in advance.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time30 mins
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter , see note 1
- 1 Medium Onion , about 1 cup minced
- 1 cup Leek , chopped
- 1 can Peeled Plum Tomatoes (14-ounce/400 milliliters), see note 2
- 2 cups Vegetable Stock , see note 3
- 2 tablespoons Double Concentrated Tomato Paste
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper , almost full
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoons Brown Sugar , see note 4
- 2 teaspoons Dried Basil
- ½ cup Half and Half , see note 5
- Fresh Basil for garnish, optional
- Croutons for garnish, optional
In a medium pot (2 quart/2 liter), melt the butter and add minced onion and chopped leek and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Then, add plum tomatoes, stock, tomato paste, pepper, salt, sugar and dried basil. Stir well. You can crush the tomatoes with a spatula. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Then, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
Add half and half and bring to a boil again. Turn off the heat and purée the soup until smooth.
Taste it and add more seasoning, if needed.
Serve with fresh basil, croutons or anything you like (see note 6)!
- I use unsalted butter so I can control the amount of sodium we take. However, in this recipe you can simply use salted butter and reduce the quantity of salt, if needed.
- It’s important to use a good quality canned tomatoes so try to find an Italian brand, if possible. You will taste the difference. They can be crushed or whole, it does not matter because you will purée them at the very end.
- Vegetable stock can be substituted with chicken stock/broth (if that’s what you have on hand and if you are not a vegetarian).
- Brown sugar can be substituted with white sugar. You might need to add more sugar. This will depend on how sweet/sour your tomatoes are.
- Half and half (US) = Single cream (UK).
- For more tips and topping options or if in doubt, please read the full post above this recipe card.
** Happy Foods Tube is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and links to Amazon.com.
Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 81
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 6g38%
Vitamin A 1141IU23%
Vitamin C 16mg19%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.