Garlic Smashed Potatoes
Garlic smashed potatoes are an easy side dish requires simple ingredients. Seasoned to perfection with garlic, olive oil and herbs, they are everyone’s favorite! Also suitable for vegans!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time50 mins
Servings: 6 (as a side)
Wash the potatoes thoroughly under running water and place them in a large pot. Pour in water so that they are submerged but don’t over-fill the pot with water. They will cook faster. Add 1 tbsp of salt. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil. Reduced the heat to medium-low and simmer until they are soft.
Meanwhile: Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C.
When the potatoes are cooked, drain the water and place them onto a baking tray. Smash them with a potato masher or a fork. Drizzle some olive oil over and sprinkle each one with salt and pepper. Bake on top shelf for 20 minutes or until they are crispy.
Prepare the garlic “spread” by combining about 2 tablespoons of olive oil with minced garlic cloves. Mix well.
Spoon a bit of the garlic “spread” onto each potato and spread it around. Sprinkle with paprika, dried oregano and finely chopped fresh chives. Add more salt and pepper if needed.
Optional but recommended: While waiting for the potatoes to be baked, run some whole, skinned almonds through a food processor until crumb-like texture. Throw them onto a dry frying pan/skillet and toast them for about 2 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle these over each potato.
Serve as an appetizer or side dish while still warm.
- Use a wooden skewer or a fork to see if the potatoes are done (just find the largest potato and pierce it, if it goes easily in, they are ready).
- Extra virgin olive oil can be substituted with a regular olive oil. I don’t recommend using vegetable nor sunflower oil. If you don’t have olive oil, you can use real butter instead.
- If you have smoked paprika, feel free to use it.
- Optional: Top each warm potato with little butter. This will melt and create an extra rich flavor.
- For more tips check out the blog post.
** Happy Foods Tube is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and links to Amazon.com.
Garlic Smashed Potatoes
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 90
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 1g6%
Vitamin A 205IU4%
Vitamin C 29.8mg36%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.