Instant Pot Beets
Have you tried cooking beets in electric pressure cooker? With this instant pot beets recipe you will get fork-tender beets in minutes. Perfect for meal prep, cooked beets can be used in so many ways!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time15 mins
Pour 1 cup of water in your instant pot. Add in steamer basket.
Peel the beets under running water (to avoid staining your hands). Use a large cookie dough cutter as a guide for size. If some of the beets are way larger, cut them to roughly similar pieces (to fit the cookie dough cutter). See note!
Use kitchen tongs to put the beets in instant pot. Close the lid and lock it into its position. Turn the steam release valve to SEALING and set timer to 10 minutes (on PRESSURE COOK or MANUAL program).
When the time is up, manually release the pressure (be careful not to burn yourself).
If you are using them for meal prep, make sure they cool down completely before you store them in air-tight container and put them into the fridge.
- The preparation time may vary. This will depend on how many beets you want to cook. The more beets the longer the cooking time.
- It does not matter how many beets you put in your pressure cooker. What does matter is their size. Buy small to medium beets. I like to use a ¼ cup cookie dough scooper/2.4 inch in diameter (6 centimeters) as a size guide. You can also use half a lemon (medium in size) as a size guide.
- After 10 minutes of active cooking time, the beets are nice and soft. If you want them crunchier, reduce the time by 2 minutes (or more - depending how you like them).
- This recipe was developed at a sea level. Note that if you live in a high altitude, you might need to adjust the cooking time. I have no experience with this, but I included a link to a post that has detailed information on high altitude pressure cooking that you might find helpful. For more info read the post above this recipe card.
- This recipe was developed for a 6-quart/6-liter instant pot. If you are using a larger pressure cooker, add more water (check the pressure cooker manual for the minimum amount, if not sure). The overall cooking time does not include time needed for the pot to come to pressure. Count with 8-10 minutes.
- For more tips and beet recipes, I recommend reading the full post above this recipe card.
** Happy Foods Tube is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and links to Amazon.com.
Instant Pot Beets
Amount Per Serving (1 g)
Calories from Fat 9
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 1g6%
Vitamin C 4mg5%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.