Topped with chocolate glaze and chocolate shavings this chocolate bundt cake is the perfect dessert for any occasion. Makes a great centerpiece!
Dust off your bundt pan and let’s do some baking! Let’s make chocolate bundt cake from scratch!
This chocolate bundt cake recipe is based on my mom’s recipe. She has had this recipe for years and whenever she is in a bundt cake making mood she makes this one! The whole family loves it!
How to make chocolate bundt cake:
First melt sugar in water over medium-low heat. It’s like making simple syrup. The only difference is the sugar to water ratio. Second, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form and start adding the sugar syrup, one spoon at a time while whisking constantly.
Add egg yolks and mix again. Sift in flour, baking powder and cocoa powder and again, mix until well combined. At last pour in the oil and mix until the batter is smooth.
Grease your bundt pan well and pour the bundt cake batter in. I used a 6 cup bundt pan. The last step before putting this chocolate bundt cake in the oven is covering the whole cake surface (at this stage the batter) with pieces of chocolate.
Break the chocolate into larger chunks and place them onto the batter. They will sink in during baking. It’s important to have chunks of chocolate rather than small pieces as these can melt completely during baking.
Also some chocolates melt more some less. I tried this with chocolate that had 70% cocoa content but in my opinion bittersweet or semisweet chocolates are better. They don’t melt that fast which means that you will be able to taste the actual pieces when you bite into the cake.
Making chocolate glaze for bundt cake is pretty straight forward. Melt chocolate and butter over a pot of simmering water and you are done! Pour it over your chocolate bundt cake and finish it off with chocolate shavings.
Tip: If you are after extra moist chocolate bundt cake, melt cocoa and sugar in warm water and pour this over the cake (1/2 cup warm water, 1 teaspoon cocoa powder and 2 teaspoons sugar. Mix well until combined and sugar has melted).
This post first appeared on Julie’s Eats and Treats blog where I am a contributor.
Chocolate Bundt Cake
For the chocolate glaze:
- 2 ounces Chocolate
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- + Extra Chocolate for Chocolate Shavings , optional
- First prepare your bundt pan for baking by greasing it with butter (use more rather than less) and flouring it.
- In a small sauce pan, combine sugar with water and simmer until the sugar has melted.
- Meanwhile separate the eggs. In a large bowl, whisk egg whites until soft peaks form. Now start adding the sugar water, one tablespoon at a time while whisking constantly. Once you have use all the sugar water, mix in egg yolks.
- Sift in flour, baking powder and cocoa powder and mix until well combined. At last add oil and give it a final mix.
- Pour this batter into a 6 cup bundt pan. Cover the batter with chocolate chunks (don’t push them in the batter. They will sink during baking). Now cover the pan with tin foil.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 360°F/180°C. It will take about 30-35 minutes. 10 minutes before the end remove the tin foil.
- When ready, let it cool for 10 minutes before removing it from the pan.
- For the glaze melt chocolate and butter and pour it over the cake. Let it cool a bit before finishing it off with chocolate shavings.
- When using Unsweetened Natural Cocoa Powder use baking soda instead of baking powder.