Chocolate cake with red wine, raspberry mascarpone filling and chocolate buttercream is so delicious you won’t be able to resist another slice! There is no going back to the “ordinary” cakes once you’ve tried this one!
This tutorial will show you how to fill, ice and decorate this beauty! Recipes with measurements for the cake, raspberry filling and chocolate buttercream will be uploaded in a short time as well.
This cake was a birthday request by my other half who doesn’t like fondant covered cakes much. He wanted something different and he had chosen a recipe from Life over sugar blog (to see the recipe for the original cake, please visit Life, Love and Sugar blog).
Actually he was mesmerized by the picture and I don’t blame him. The cake on the picture looked absolutely amazing, rich and moist, with raspberry buttercream inside and dark chocolate buttercream icing, finished off with chocolate ganache and raspberries.
So as it was his birthday wish I tried my best to follow the recipe (yeah, I don’t follow recipes much) to get a great result and guess what? The cake itself was amazing! Turned out well and I think it exceeded his expectations! It was moist with a subtle wine flavor! Just a perfect cake for him!
I used my own raspberry filling with mascarpone cheese over the raspberry buttercream and also my version of chocolate buttercream icing. The recipes for these two will be posted shortly on our blog.
I will also be posting a video tutorial on how to bake this cake (yes, there are a minor changes to the recipe, but just minor) so if you would like to watch it, please be sure to check our YouTube channel or blog.
I hope you will enjoy this cake as much as we did as it truly is a wonderful recipe.
Check out our video for how to make Red Wine Chocolate Raspberry Cake:
How to assemble and fill a cake:
Red Wine Chocolate Raspberry Cake
Raspberry Filling Recipe:
- 1 cup Fresh Raspberries (125 grams)
- 1 cup Mascarpone Cheese (250 grams)
- ½ cup Icing Sugar (60 grams)
- Sift the flour and baking powder in a large bowl. Mix. Add sugar, salt and cocoa powder. Mix until all ingredients are well combined.
- Pour in the oil, milk and add eggs. Combine until you get nice smooth batter. Pour in wine - a small amount at a time. After each addition, mix well.
- Prepare cake tin (8 inch/20 cm wide & 6 inch/15 cm high) by lining it with baking paper (if you need a help with lining cake tins, have a look at this post: How to Prepare Cake Tins).
- Pour in the mixture and place in a preheated oven. Bake at 350 Fahrenheit/180 Celsius for 60 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- When ready, let it cool a bit before transferring onto a cooling rack. Cool completely.
- Trim off the top part if necessary. Cut the cake horizontally into 3 equal parts.
- Wash the raspberries. Puree them in a food processor. In a bowl combine the raspberry puree with mascarpone cheese and the icing sugar (use hand mixer if needed) until smooth and you are ready to go.
Chocolate Buttercream Icing:
- Cream the butter with a few spoons of milk (add the milk gradually) in a mixer. Add 1/2 of the icing sugar & some more milk. Add some more sugar as well as the cocoa powder, sifted. Be careful when turning on the mixer as you can end up with cocoa all over your surface and yourself if the mixer is on high speed.
- Melt the chocolate over a pan of simmering water (bain-marie), let it cool a bit and add to the bowl. Mix until you get nice smooth texture and all ingredients are well blended.
- If you think the icing is too thick, add some more milk and whisk again.
- Your icing is ready to go and you can ice your cake any way you like!