Sauerkraut soup is widely eaten in countries throughout Europe. But it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. I get it. If you are not used to it you may find it weird but if you haven’t tried it yet I think you should give it a go because…well, because it’s yummy and also it’s good for you!
Did you know that sauerkraut was consumed hundreds of years back by various nations for its qualities? Apparently even James Cook always took sauerkraut on his voyages to help him fight the deficit of Vitamin C that was so common among sailors.
So yes, sauerkraut itself is very healthy. It is a good source of Vitamin B12 as well as Vitamin C & K. It also has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, helps fights fatigue, viruses and bacteria. Sauerkraut also helps remove harmful substances from your body.
And because it’s winter time and because I love this soup, here is my recipe (Even though my mum cooks this soup quite often, I have actually never asked for her recipe. I somehow developed my own version, where I’ve tried to get as close as possible to the taste I know from her cooking…I like it so I think I’ve succeeded and I hope you’ll like it too).
- Put the mushrooms in a bowl and pour over 300 ml boiling water. Let it sit for about 15 minutes until they get soft.
- Peel and dice the onion. Sautee on low heat until translucent, Stir occasionally.
- Slice the chorizo sausage and add to the onion. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add paprika and stir constantly for a few minutes before adding drained sauerkraut (keep the juice for later) and stir until the sauerkraut gets nice orange color from paprika.
- Add 1.5 liter of water, bay leaves, salt & pepper & drained mushrooms. If you feel like the soup is too thick add some more water. Bring it to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to low-medium and cook for 20 minutes. Taste and add more salt or a small amount of sauerkraut juice (it is usually salty), if needed. Cook for another 10 minutes before turning off.
- Serve topped with sour cream and a slice of bread (both optional).
Browse more Soup Recipes or visit our channel to see the videos.