A very delicious dark chocolate orange cake with 70% dark chocolate, fresh orange juice and chia seeds! If you are new to chia seeds, I highly recommend trying this recipe. The amount of seeds put in this cake is really small but it still gives the cake an interesting texture without changing its flavor.
Watch the video for this recipe:
Dark Chocolate Orange Cake with Chia Seeds
For Chocolate Ganache:
- 250 g Dark Chocolate (70%)
- 280 ml Double Cream
- Melt the chocolate in a bain marie and let it cool down.
- Meanwhile: Juice 2 oranges (keep the 3rd one for decoration) and keep the juice for later.
- In a large bowl whisk the eggs with caster sugar and oil (use a mixer) until pale and fluffy. Pour in the cooled melted chocolate, a bit of orange juice and mix.
- Sift in plain flour mixed with baking powder and cocoa powder. Using a spatula or a wooden spoon, mix until the ingredients are combined. Add orange flavoring (optional), chia seeds and the rest of the orange juice. Mix.
- Bake at 180 ⁰C for 35 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Prepare the chocolate ganache by bringing the double cream to the boil. Place the chocolate (broken into small pieces) in a heat-proof bowl and pour over the hot cream. Let it sit for about 2 minutes. Then mix vigorously until smooth. Let it sit for about an hour to get a nice thicker texture.
- Once the cake is completely cooled, cut of the uneven or cracked top (keep the cut offs for future baking projects – store in the freezer). Now cut the cake in half. Transfer the bottom part onto a serving plate or a cake stand. Cover with a very thin layer of apricot jam. Now spread a thin layer of ganache (about 0.5 cm thin) over the jam. Cover with the other half of your cake and ganache the whole cake. Place it in a fridge to set (overnight is best).
- Just before serving, decorate the cake with fresh orange slices.
- Best served 10-15 minutes after taking out from your fridge.
Happy Baking with Happy Foods Tube!
Browse more Dessert Recipes or visit our channel to see the videos.