This creamy red cabbage coleslaw recipe is an easy and quick side for all kinds of recipes. Made in 1 bowl with less than 10 ingredients!
Homemade coleslaw from scratch is better than he shop-bought version, so why not give it a go? This post includes tips and serving suggestion ideas including recipes.
How to make red cabbage coleslaw with mayonnaise
Thinly slice cabbage, onion and shred carrot. Finely chop celery. Transfer these into a large bowl and add mayonnaise, celery salt, pepper, vinegar and lemon juice. Mix well.
Taste and add more seasoning/vinegar/lemon juice, if you feel it is needed.
Tips for making red cabbage slaw
- You can change the quantities of the ingredients, if you like.
- This recipe can be easily doubled, if needed.
- Make sure to store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.
- You can use any mayonnaise you like and if you don’t have it on hand, you can make homemade mayonnaise.
- I used yellow onion, but you can use any kind you like. It does not really matter here. What is important though is slicing it thin so that the slices blend with the rest of the ingredients and are not over-powering.
- For seasoning I opted for celery salt. It does give this homemade coleslaw a nice flavor, but if you don’t have it, just use regular salt instead.
- The best tool to mix all the ingredients well is a pair of kitchen tongs (see the link below) or at least that is what I love using, as it helps toss the ingredients around well and the mayo and seasoning are distributed evenly which is great. It is also the easiest and quickest way to do this. Or you can use your hands (preferably with gloves on) instead.
- For easy and mess-free mixing, use a large bowl. You can also use a cooking pot.
Can I make coleslaw in advance?
Yes. You can prepare it 30 minutes up to a day ahead, if needed.
Are you wondering what goes with red cabbage coleslaw? Here are some recipe ideas for you:
- Pulled Pork Sandwich (Have you tried making Pulled Pork in Instant Pot? It’s so easy and more importantly, hassle-free!)
- Grilled meats (e.g. Grilled Chicken Thighs)
- Hot Dogs
Or anything you enjoy. Everyone is different and every single one of us has a different taste, so try what you like, and you’ll see!
How long does coleslaw last in the fridge?
When making this purple cabbage coleslaw with mayonnaise, you should eat it within 3 days. To enjoy it at its best, I recommend serving it within a day or two.
Red Cabbage Coleslaw
- ½ small Head Red Cabbage (4 cups finely sliced)
- 1 Small Onion , thinly sliced, see note 1
- 1 Large Carrot (1 cup shredded)
- 1 Large Celery Stalk (1/2 cup finely diced)
- ¾ cup Mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon Celery Salt , see note 2
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar , see note 3
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Lemon Juice , or to taste
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients and give everything a good mix.
- You can enjoy it right away or chill it before serving (see note 4).
- Either white, red or yellow onion can be used.
- If you don’t have celery salt, use regular salt.
- You can substitute apple vinegar with white wine vinegar.
- This creamy coleslaw will keep for up to 3 days in an airtight container in your fridge, but I recommend consuming it within 2 days. It can also be prepared in advance (up to a day).
- You will find serving suggestion ideas and more tips in the post above this recipe card.