BBQ pulled pork sandwich is always a crowd’s favorite at potlucks and parties. Soft buns are filled with tender, BBQ-flavored meat and as many toppings as one desires!
Check the post for detailed instructions and ideas on toppings/sides, …
How to make BBQ pulled pork sandwiches
First, make pulled pork. There are several ways to make it: oven, slow cooker or pressure cooker. I love quick and hassle-free cooking so I always make Instant Pot Pulled Pork.
In the inner pot of your Instant Pot, mix the sauce, chicken stock and sugar together. Then cut the pork shoulder into 4 pieces. Mix salt, pepper, paprika and cinnamon together and rub this all over the meat chunks. This is a simple dry rub but it give BBQ pulled pork sandwiches the right amount of flavor – without being overpowering.
Place them into the sauce and turn each piece around, just so they are all covered with the sauce.
Then just cook under pressure for 50 minutes, then wait for 10 more minutes before releasing the pressure manually. At this stage the meat should be extra tender, and you should be able to pull it apart with no effort whatsoever.
Now I like to pour the sauce into a small sauce pan and shred the meat in the instant pot. Then I pour some of the sauce back over the pulled pork and I thicken the rest of it with cornstarch.
This is completely optional. It is just my personal preference – as I find that eating BBQ pulled pork sandwiches is less messy when the sauce is thick.
Next step is preparing all the fillings/toppings for your sandwiches. You can do this while waiting for the pulled pork to be cooked.
The easiest way to do is, prepare everything onto a large tray and let your diners choose what they want to stuff their BBQ pulled pork sandwich with.
What is the best cut of meat for pulled pork?
Pork butt (pork shoulder).
What to serve with pulled pork sandwiches?
- Potato Fries
- Potato Chips
There is no right or wrong here. Choose what you or your guests/diners like the most!
What toppings go on pulled pork sandwiches?
Now this is entirely up to you. You can top your BBQ pulled pork sandwich with anything you like.
This is what I like to use:
- Coleslaw – an excellent choice of topping (Have you tried making it at home? This easy coleslaw from Dinner then Dessert sounds delicious).
- Lettuce – I like baby romaine lettuce but iceberg salad will also work well.
- Onion – white or red (if you prefer a milder taste).
- + some sauce (I like simple recipes like homemade garlic dip I used when making Oven Roasted Artichokes or just mix mayonnaise with mustard and you are good to go!
Other tasty toppings:
- Dill pickles
- Sautéed mushrooms
More recipes that you might like:
BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich
For the pulled pork:
For the sandwiches:
- 6-8 Buns
- 1 small Red Onion
- Romaine Lettuce
For the sauce (optional):
- ½ cup Mayonaisse
- 1 tbsp Mustard
- In the inner pot of your instant pot, combine the BBQ sauce, chicken stock and brown sugar.
- Cut the pork into 4 similar looking pieces. In a small bowl, mix salt, pepper, paprika and cinnamon and rub this mixture into the meat chunks. Place the chunks into the instant pot. Turn them around so they are all coated in the sauce.
- Cover with lid and lock it into its position. Turn the steam release valve to SEALING and cook on high pressure for 50 minutes.
- When the active cooking is finished, wait 10 minutes before manually releasing the pressure (you can also wait until the pressure drops naturally before opening the lid).
- When ready, pour the liquid into a sauce pan. Using 2 forks, pull the meat apart and pour some of the sauce (as much as you like) over the pork. Stir well.
- Serve with buns, coleslaw, mustard sauce (optional) and toppings of your choice.
- This recipe was developed for a 6-quart/6-liter instant pot. Using a different size, brand of electric pressure cooker may affect the final results.
- The overall cooking time does not include time that the pot needs to come to pressure nor time needed to release its pressure. Count with extra 15-20 minutes.
- Try toasting the buns before you fill them!
- It’s important to cut the meat into 4 pieces. If you don’t do this, your meat will not cook through.