This broccoli curry recipe is an easy dinner that everyone can make! Ready in 25 minutes, it is perfect for busy families or anyone who likes quick dinner recipes.
It’s a vegetable curry that is also naturally vegan and gluten-free!
How to make broccoli curry
Get a large pot – I have an 8-quart (8-liter) pot that I use, but you don’t need such a large pot. I just prefer using something larger than 3-quart (3-liter) and because I don’t have anything in between, this is what I use.
Pour oil in, add finely mince onion and saute until the onion is translucent, about 2 minutes. Then, add crushed or minced garlic and stir until the garlic releases its aroma.
Now, add curry powder, ginger and stir everything for a while. Add the rest of the ingredients – broth, coconut milk, lentils, broccoli florets and salt and pepper. Stir and bring to a boil.
Let it simmer for about 10-15 minutes on low before turning it off. Note: You can add the broccoli to the curry at a later stage, if you don’t like it way too soft.
Choose the right ingredients
This broccoli curry recipe calls for coconut milk. I buy mine in a can and it usually has the thick part on top and the liquid is on the bottom which means I need to stir it well before adding it to this broccoli curry (or any recipe).
You cannot use coconut milk drink (the kind you use for oatmeal or cereals) instead nor can you use cream of coconut. The latter is used in baking or for making cocktails and contains a lot of sugar. You would not enjoy this curry with broccoli and lentils if you used that one.
Broccoli curry can be served with rice (did you know you can make a tasty Coconut Rice in instant pot), naan bread, dinner rolls, Focaccia or any kind of flat bread (my favorite is Sweet Potato Flatbread).
We have more easy curry recipes on our blog:
If you are looking for a curry recipe that does not require a ton of ingredients, try Cauliflower Chickpea Curry.
Those who own an instant pot might like to try Sweet Potato Lentil Curry. It’s rich and thick.
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 medium Onion , finely minced
- 4 Garlic Cloves , see note 1
- 2 tablespoons Mild Curry Powder
- 1 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1.5 cups Vegetable Broth , see note 2
- 1 can Coconut Milk (14-ounce/400 milliliters), see note 3
- 2 cups Cooked Lentils (380 grams), see note 4
- 6 cups Raw Broccoli Florets
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Black Pepper
- A Drizzle of Lemon Juice
- In a large pot (see note 5), heat the oil. Add finely minced onion and sauté for about 2 minutes. Add minced garlic and stir until the garlic releases its aroma.
- Add curry powder, ginger and stir for a few seconds before adding broth, coconut milk, lentils, broccoli florets and salt and pepper. Stir well. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer on low for about 10-15 minutes.
- Add a drizzle of lemon juice, taste and serve!
- Enjoy with rice or naan bread!
- 4 garlic cloves should yield about 1 tablespoon of minced garlic.
- I used low sodium vegetable broth. If you use regular one, make sure to use less salt. I recommend seasoning it at the very end.
- Coconut milk CANNOT be substituted with coconut milk drink or cream of coconut!
- You can change the quantity of lentils if you like: For more protein, add 2 cups of lentils. For less, add 1 cup only.
- I recommend using a pot that holds more than 3-quart/3-liter of liquid.
- You will find more information, tips and serving suggestions in the full post above this recipe card.