This is a simplified recipe for homemade coquito with no eggs and no evaporated milk. It’s the perfect drink for holiday parties or family gatherings and while it is usually enjoyed chilled, you can also heat it up, if you like.
Turn this homemade coquito recipe into a Christmas gift and surprise your friends with a bottle of this delicious creamy cocktail.
Please note that this is not a traditional coquito recipe. It is a slightly different version of this classic Puerto Rican Christmas drink. I don’t use evaporated milk nor cream of coconut and I don’t use egg yolk in my recipe for coquito.
To add an extra flavor, I use raisins soaked in rum. I think it’s delicious and has a perfect consistency – not too thin, not too thick. Just perfect!
Because I find this coquito drink quite rich, I like to serve it in shot glasses. However, you can use any glasses you like. Small cups will also work well.
- Coconut milk
- Sweetened condensed milk
How to make coquito at home
Pour raisins into a bowl and pour over about ½ cup of rum. Put this in the fridge overnight. The raisins will soften so they will blend easily the following day.
The next day, place all the ingredients in your blender and blend until smooth and enjoy!
Tips for making coquito cocktail
- Use either dark or white rum. We use 1.5 cups, but you can use less or more (although I would not go over 2 cups).
- Make sure to use full-fat coconut milk, not coconut milk drink or coconut beverage. It is sold in cans and it is usually thick at the top with liquid at the bottom of the can when stored in the fridge.
- Coquito can be refrigerated overnight before serving. This allows the flavors to blend better, but it is not required. You can enjoy it right away if you like. Also, you can heat it up if you prefer warm cocktails.
I like serving homemade coquito with a dash of ground cinnamon and/or a cinnamon stick inside the drink. This is completely optional and serves more as a decoration, so you can omit it.
Now, if you are thinking of throwing a party this Holiday season and looking for Christmas cocktail recipes or warm beverages that are perfect for the celebration, I have a few easy hot winter drinks on my blog.
Have you ever tried poinsettia cocktail? It is perfect for any occasion from Holidays to New Year’s Eve Party!
Kids will definitely enjoy non-alcoholic mulled wine and adults can try baileys hot chocolate. It’s rich, boozy and perfect for the winter season.
Want to see how to make coquito? Watch the video!
- ½ cup raisins (100 grams)
- 1.5 cups dark rum (370 milliliters)
- 2 cans coconut milk (13.5 ounces/400 milliliters)
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 ounces/400 grams)
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl (a soup bowl will do), combine raisins and ½ cup of rum. Transfer this into the fridge and let it sit overnight.
- In a blender, combine all the ingredients until smooth.
- Transfer into a sterilized jar, cover with a lid and refrigerate.
- This beverage will keep in the fridge for several weeks if stored properly. Keep it refrigerated in a sterilized jar or glass bottle.
- Dark rum can be substituted with white rum. You can use more or less rum if you like.
- You can drink this right away or keep it in the fridge overnight before serving.
- Serve this in shot glasses, small cups, or any glasses you have on hand.
- This recipe will serve 10 people when using 5-ounce (150-milliliter) glasses.
I love this with the cinnamon on top too. Such a lovely festive drink.
Such a great recipe for the festive season! Really enjoyed it!
Pam Greer says
I love this simplified version of one of our favorite Christmas drinks!! So good!
Kathryn Donangelo says
This is such a great holiday recipe! I loved all of the spices and hint of coconut. Will make again soon! :) Thanks!