These Double Chocolate Banana Muffins are perfect for breakfast, brunch, snack or dessert. Make double batch, freeze them and enjoy whenever you feel like having this sweet treat!
Guys! These double chocolate banana muffins are one of my favorite muffins! You gotta try them to see for yourself but I am telling you they are addictive.
What I love about these double chocolate banana muffins:
- Quick prep – they are ready for the oven in 15 minutes (plus if you add 20 minutes of baking time – you are done in 35 minutes)!
- They are moist with pieces of banana and chocolate chips.
- Freeze them – place them in zip-lock bags, freeze them and take out a few whenever you need sweet breakfast.
- Make ahead batter – yes! Make the batter ahead and keep it in the fridge overnight for fresh morning treat!
Love sweet breakfast? Check these easy breakfast recipes out:
How to make double chocolate banana muffins
Start off with preheating the oven to 370°F/190°C. While waiting for the oven to reach the right temperature, get the muffin batter ready.
You will need a large mixing bowl. Here you need to mix butter and sugar until fluffy. Then add the eggs, one at a time. Mix well after each addition.
Then add mashed bananas. Now I just use a fork to mash them and I also make sure to not mash them completely. I want to have some chunkier pieces of banana there too – that way you will end up with muffins that have some banana pieces as well as chocolate chips inside.
Now it’s time to sift in baking powder, cocoa powder and flour. I like to put all 3 ingredients in a sieve and sift them all together. Mix this with a wooden spoon (or give it a quick mix with electric mixer) and finally stir in the chocolate chips.
Scoop the muffin batter into a muffin tray lined with paper cases or into silicone muffin molds. And guys! I so love my silicone molds for muffins. I got them from my aunt and I use them all the time. They are so easy to work with – the muffins always come out nicely and there is a minimal cleaning required.
By the way, guys! Did you know that the type of you muffin tray can affect the quality of your muffins? I recently came across this article: how muffin pans can affect your favorite recipe and was really surprised by this.
Now for me, I rarely use a muffin tray especially since I got those silicone molds. They work perfectly for me! What do you use for making muffins?
By the way the aroma in your kitchen when these double chocolate banana muffins are baking is unreal! The banana and chocolate smell amazing!
Good to know:
- I used ½ cup of brown sugar to make these double chocolate banana muffins but I have also made them using ½ cup of palm sugar. Now if you are after muffins that are not very sweet, use palm sugar. You can also use ½ cup of white – sugar (granulated or superfine (US)/caster (UK) both will work here).
- If you like your muffins packed with chocolate chips, increase the amount from ¼ cup to ½ cup.
- Make sure your bananas are ripe!
- All-purpose flour (US) = Plain flour (UK).
Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 370°F/190°C.
- Beat the sugar and butter until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time. Beat well after each addition. Add mashed bananas and mix well.
- Combine flour, cocoa powder and baking powder. Sift these into the mixture and stir until well combined.
- At last, stir in the chocolate chips. Scoop the batter into silicone muffin molds or muffin tray lined with muffin paper cups.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until done.
- I get 10 medium muffins out of this recipe. You might get more or less and this will depend on the size of your muffin tray or muffin cases.
- If you like more chocolate-y flavor, increase the amount of chocolate chips from ¼ cup to ½ cup.
- Make sure your bananas are ripe when making this recipe.
- You can also make ahead the batter and store it in the fridge overnight.
- They are freezer friendly – just pack them into zip-lock bags and freeze.
- Brown sugar can be substituted with granulated or cane sugar (when using cane sugar, you will get less sweet muffins).