This green pea hummus is a tasty twist on the classic hummus recipe. Perfect for parties, picnics, lunch boxes or snacking. Easy and quick recipe!
We like turning this green pea hummus into a healthy snack by spreading it on toasted bread (best is French baguette or sourdough bread) and topping it with lots of goodies – seeds, nuts, sprouts, … anything we have on hand.
3 reasons why we love green pea hummus
- Easy recipe – Food processor does all the work for you.
- Quick preparation – Hummus only takes minutes to make if you are using ready-cooked chickpeas!
- Nutritious – all the ingredients in this green pea hummus recipe are healthy and protein rich. They are also high in vitamins, minerals and healthy fats.
How to make green pea hummus
In a food processor, combine the peas, chickpeas, water and oil until smooth. Add the rest of the ingredients, mix with a spoon and taste. Add more seasoning or oil, lemon juice … to achieve the consistency and flavor you like.
I like serving this as a dip with carrots and celery or as a spread with some extra toppings.
Another tasty version of this dip is Roasted Beet Hummus. It takes longer to make as you have to roast the beets but it is absolutely worth it.
Note: Frozen sweet peas are perfect for this recipe. Just boil it according to package instructions, drain and cool down under running cold water before adding to the food processor altogether with chickpeas.
There are so many tasty options and it only depends on what you like. Here are some ideas for you:
Sprouts – my favorite are alfalfa sprouts.
Radishes – especially when using this hummus as spread.
Chia seeds – they can be either sprinkled on top or mixed into the green pea hummus.
Sesame seeds – either black or white will work well.
Toasted pine nuts, crushed pistachios or walnuts ….
Extra drizzle of olive oil and lemon juice.
Tips for making green pea hummus
- This is a basic recipe and all the ingredients can be easily adjusted to your taste. Add more peas, less chickpeas, omit cumin, increase the amount of oil, …. Just try, give it a taste and experiment until you are happy with its taste.
- I used Homemade Tahini to make this green pea hummus but you can completely omit it, if you don’t have it on hand! Or try Avocado Hummus instead!
- I like using ready-cooked chickpeas to make this dip. However, you can use the dried ones and cook them yourself.
- If you love garlic, try adding one clove to the processor.
Green Pea Hummus
- Chia Seeds
- Alfalfa Sprouts
- Cook the frozen peas in boiling water according to package instructions. When ready, drain and cool the peas under running cold water.
- Transfer them into a food processor. Add cooked chickpeas, water and olive oil. Process until smooth or to your liking.
- Add salt, cumin, juice from ½ lemon and tahini. Mix everything well and taste. You can add more salt/tahini/lemon juice/cumin… if you prefer.
- Serve as a dip or spread.
- Optional: top with more olive oil, sesame seeds, chia seeds, cumin, sprouts….
- This recipe can be easily adjusted to your liking.
- It can also be doubled.
- Cumin and tahini can be omitted completely.
- Cook the peas according to package instructions, drain and cool down under cold running water.
- For more tips I recommend reading the whole post.
- This recipe is vegan and naturally gluten-free.