Looking for quick and healthy recipe ideas for breakfast or afternoon snacks? Try these rice cakes with hummus and roasted tomatoes! Topped with fresh produce, these rice cakes are worth giving a go.
Rice cakes can be enjoyed in so many ways and that is why I love them. There are endless possibilities when it comes to rice cake toppings and it’s only up to you what you prefer/like to try.
This rice cakes recipe is pretty versatile which means that the ingredients can be easily adjusted/substituted to your liking.
How to make rice cakes with hummus and roasted tomatoes
Start with cherry tomatoes. Rinse them, cut them in half and throw them into the frying pan or skillet. Add little olive oil and turn the heat on.
Season with salt, pepper and oregano and roast for a few minutes. Once the pan is heated, they are ready in no time so make sure to keep an eye on them. You don’t want to over-cook them.
Then all you have to do to enjoy these rice cakes with hummus is to assemble them together.
Take a rice cake, spread some hummus over and top it with the rest of the ingredients. The order of ingredients doesn’t matter that much. You can start with sprouts, then avocado and them roasted tomatoes.
If you like, you can serve the tomatoes on side and eat them with a fork. I sometimes do this.
If you would like to enjoy these rice cakes with hummus but don’t want to use cherry tomatoes, try using mushrooms instead.
Dried oregano can be substituted with dried thyme or marjoram.
You can also try making Tahini Free Avocado Hummus.
Alfalfa sprouts – kale sprouts, broccoli sprouts or any other kind of sprouts will work just fine. Use what you like or what is available in your local store.
Rice Cakes with Hummus and Roasted Tomatoes
- In a frying pan/skillet, heat the oil and throw in the tomatoes. Season them with salt, pepper and oregano and roast them for a minute or two or until ready. Don’t over-cook them.
- Meanwhile: Spread a generous layer of hummus over the rice cakes. Top them with avocado and sprouts.
- Finally, add roasted tomatoes (or serve them alongside the rice cakes).
- Serve for breakfast/lunch/afternoon snack.
- These rice cakes with hummus and roasted tomatoes are delicious for breakfast, quick lunch or an afternoon snack.
- Feel free to use more (or less) hummus/avocado/sprouts/…
- You can also substitute the roasted tomatoes for roasted mushrooms.
- Use either homemade or store-bought hummus.
- Dried oregano can be substituted with dried thyme.
- Alfalfa sprouts can be substituted for other type of sprouts (e.g.kale, broccoli …).