This 15-minute green pea soup is easy to make, nutritious and filling. Serve it with smoked salmon, a dollop of sour cream and your favorite bread!
Winter season = soup season. One of the best things about soups is that they are not only good for you but they warm your body from the inside and fill your tummy.
Like this green pea soup. I serve it with a few slices of smoked salmon, a dollop of sour cream, and a slice of bread to make it extra filling. Also, salmon and pea soup go so well together and if you haven’t tried it yet, here is your chance!
To make this green pea soup I did not use any cream so it is not heavy and makes it super healthy. However, if you feel like you would like to add cream to it, go for it!
Why make this green pea soup with smoked salmon?
- Quick preparation – 15 minutes is all it takes to make it. Isn’t it great?
- Healthy option – soups are good for you and this green pea soup is made with no cream which makes it extra healthy.
- Nutrient-rich soup – Vitamin K & C, minerals, fiber & protein.
- Dairy-free option – omit the sour cream and you have the perfect dairy-free soup.
Guys, this green pea soup is perfect for quick lunch or busy weeknight dinner. In general, when you are pressed for time or when you don’t know what to make this soup is it! It only takes one pot. It ticks all the boxes: it’s quick, easy, tasty, light & healthy!
Or have a look at these hearty soups perfect for winter:
How to make green pea soup?
Get a large pot and sauté onion and garlic for 1-2 minutes. Add frozen peas and cover with a lid. Cook this for about 5 minutes. You should not need to add any liquid at this stage. Frozen peas will release some so it will be steaming.
After 5 minutes, add vegetable stock. You can also add chicken broth/stock if you have it on hand. Bring this to a boil. Once it is boiling, turn off the heat. Puree the soup until smooth and you are done! Homemade green pea soup is ready to be served!
I also add a dollop of sour cream and smoked salmon. It gives the soup a nice flavor and also you get some extra protein that will keep you going for a while.
I have made this green pea soup several times using various stock-to-peas ratios. Some of you might like this pea soup thicker so you can add more peas. For those who prefer thinner soups, I recommend using either more broth or little less peas. If you ask me, I like this consistency.
Soup lovers! Check out my collection of homemade soup recipes! I am sure you will find your favorite one there.
Check out our video for how to make green pea soup:
This post first appeared on Tastes of Lizzy T blog where I am a contributor.
Green Pea Soup with Smoked Salmon
- In a pot, heat the oil. Add chopped onion and minced garlic. Sauté for a minute before adding frozen peas in. Cover with lid and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Now it’s time to add vegetable broth, salt, pepper and dried parsley. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Turn off the heat and puree until smooth.
- Taste it. Add more seasoning, if required.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and salmon slices (both are optional).
- I used Himalayan salt. Sea salt or table salt is fine to use as well. However, they are saltier than Himalayan salt. Also, some broths are salted some are not. If you are not sure, it’s better to add salt in the end right after tasting the soup.