Affogato is a delicious dessert perfect for hot summer days. You only need 2 ingredients and a few minutes to make this classic Italian coffee dessert!
Its simple preparation makes it an ideal dessert when you are stuck for time or just don’t feel like spending hours in the kitchen.
How to make affogato at home
Place one scoop of ice cream (or more) into a glass of your choice and pour over a shot of espresso. It cannot be simpler than this!
And if you feel like adding some extra toppings, then do it – add a drizzle of caramel sauce, chocolate sauce or sprinkle it with some crushed nuts or cookies, if you like.
Like you see, making affogato only takes literally minutes!
If you have an espresso machine at home, then you are lucky, and you should not hesitate to use it! We don’t have one, so we brew coffee using a French press.
How much coffee do you use for one shot of espresso?
To make the perfect shot, you should use about 6 grams of ground coffee per 1 fluid ounce.
1 tablespoon of ground coffee = about 5-6 grams.
Now that being said, you don’t need to follow this rule. Brew coffee that you would enjoy. If you can, make it stronger than usually.
Tips for making affogato at home
- If you don’t want your ice cream to melt quickly, then wait until the coffee is cooled down before pouring it over. Chilling glasses also helps a bit.
- You can serve the ice cream and coffee separately and your guests can help themselves and create their own affogato. It’s a great way to satisfy everyone as some might like more coffee while others may prefer having more ice cream in their affogato.
- Optional toppings – caramel sauce, chocolate sauce, crushed almonds, cookies .…
- Usually an ounce of espresso is poured over a scoop of ice cream. Now, this does not mean that you cannot increase your serving size, especially when you brew a lighter coffee.
- French press is really handy when making affogato.
- Try using dark roast coffee beans or espresso beans when grinding coffee at home.
Here are some more tasty recipes for desserts and coffees perfect for summer:
- 1 scoop Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1 shot Espresso
- A drizzle of Chocolate Sauce , optional
- Place a scoop of vanilla ice cream in a glass and pour over 1 shot of espresso.
- Serve right away!
- Vanilla gelato can be used instead of ice cream. You can also double the amount of ice cream, if you like.
- If you don’t have an espresso machine at home, you can still make it. Use a French press to brew a strong coffee.
- Chocolate sauce is completely optional so if you don’t have it on hand, don’t worry. You can also sprinkle some crushed nuts on top.
- For more tips and detailed explanation, please read the full post.