Blue cheese salad dressing made from scratch is not only better for you but it’s also tastier and fresher. This one is easy to make and ready in minutes!
Dressing is an important part of a salad. Without it, it’s just a few vegetables thrown together, that might taste good, but a tasty dressing can bring your salad to a whole new level.
Blue cheese salad dressing is one of many I have on my blog: Here are my most favorite salad dressings:
- Goat Cheese Salad with Walnut Dressing
- Chicken Bacon Salad with Honey Mustard Dressing
- Fresh Kale Salad with Sun-Dried Tomato Dressing
How to make blue cheese salad dressing
In a food processor, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, blue cheese, chives and black pepper. It only takes seconds to blend. The longer you blend the smoother its texture.
Now to thin it to your liking add milk. If you omit the milk completely you can serve this blue cheese salad dressing as a dip with Buffalo Chicken Wings.
It completely depends on what you like. I recommend tasting the dressing after adding milk to see if more seasoning is needed. This homemade blue cheese salad dressing is a must when making Wedge Salad.
The chives can be also added at the very end.
The whole dressing making literally takes minutes so if you ever get some free time on hands, I highly recommend giving it a go.
Tips for making blue cheese salad dressing
- Blue cheese has a very strong/sharp taste and for this reason it’s important adding just enough so it’s not over-powering. I prefer making a milder dressing and I think that the amount I used in this recipe is just perfect. Now you might add more or even less cheese, if you prefer.
- I like adding the milk after I have processed all the ingredients. That way I can easily see the consistency and decide how much milk to add. In this case I went with about 3-4 tablespoons of milk.
- 1 small lemon yields about 2 tablespoons of juice.
- This blue cheese salad dressing recipe does not call for any salt. The reason is simple: blue cheese itself is salty enough so no extra sodium is needed. That being said, you can add some, if you like.
How long does blue cheese salad dressing last?
This homemade blue cheese salad dressing is best served within 3 days.
Make sure you store it in a sealed jar in the fridge at all times.
Blue Cheese Salad Dressing
- Blend all the ingredients apart from milk in a food processor/blender until smooth.
- Thin with milk until it reaches consistency you like.
- Stir in more fresh chives, if desired.
- Sour cream can be substituted with Greek yogurt or crème fraiche.
- 1 small lemon yields about 2 tablespoons of lemon juice.
- Fresh chives – you can add more or less.
- I used about 3-4 tablespoons of milk to thin this dressing. You can use more or less, if you like. If you use a lot of milk, bear in mind that you will also dilute the flavor so an extra salt/pepper might be needed.
- When not thinned with milk, you can use this as a dip!
- Serve right away or store in the fridge in a sealed jar for up to 3 days.