No bake sweet treats are perfect for summer and so is this no bake chocolate pudding dessert with white currant. A combination of rich dark chocolate pudding with chocolate mascarpone layer and topped with white currant berries. A pretty easy summer treat!
I find currant berries perfect for no bake desserts! White, red or black – each color has its own specific taste! Apparently the black ones are the most nutritious ones but they all are rich in vitamin C and iron.
My parents have several bushes of black, red and white currants growing in their garden and when I was home a few weeks back, I decided to take some with me to Spain. I was literally picking them the morning we left for the airport! My favorite ones are the white currants. I was a bit apprehensive about this idea of mine to bring them untouched (by untouched I mean not squashed a lot and still edible) to Spain.
Well, I succeeded, and was pleasantly surprised that they had survived the long journey. Afterwards, I had kept them in a plastic bag on the top shelf of our fridge for about a week. It was interesting to see that some 7 days later they tasted like the freshly picked ones!
The white currant berries are my favorite but I don’t say no to the red or black ones. There were not many black ones left on the bush though so I picked only a few. I also couldn’t find any red ones at all. It seems like their free range chickens like to feast on them as well! The thing with their free range chickens is that they have their own (pretty huge) area where they can roam as much as they like but my grandmother thinks that this is not enough.
She thinks that the free range chickens need to be more free than they are, if you know what I mean. What she likes to do is letting them out to roam even farther- around the veggies and fruits that are not fenced so the chickens can feast on these as well – or more like they are the first “testers”. So my parents had to put up nets around the bushes to protect the berries but I am guessing the chicken were faster! Lol!
OK. Back to my chocolate pudding dessert with white currant!
There are two ways to enjoy this dessert:
First: If you are one of those people who don’t like to wait for your dessert, then you can enjoy it right away!
Second: If you like the pudding layer to be set, you will have to chill it in the fridge and wait a bit longer before enjoying this deliciousness.
I do like eating it both ways! I like when the pudding layer is still runny (if you want it to be thicker, add more corn starch) and warm. But I also like when it’s chilled and refreshing!
If you like my recipe for chocolate pudding dessert with white currant but you can’t get or don’t like currant berries, then no worries! Feel free to use other berries, I promise you it will be delicious!
This is a great dessert to make well in advance! Just pop the glasses in the fridge and chill overnight! Guys, it’s a sweet yet refreshing treat! Give it a go and let me know what you think!
Also check out these currant recipes:
Chocolate Pudding Dessert with White Currant
- In a sauce pan mix caster sugar, salt, corn starch and cocoa powder (sift it to avoid lumps).
- Pour in milk, turn on the heat and bring to the boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add chocolate (chopped into smaller pieces. Keep stirring until the chocolate has melted &mixture thickens a bit. Turn off the heat and let it cool down a bit. To speed up the process you can place the sauce pan in a large bowl filled with cold water.
- Once the chocolate pudding has cooled down a bit it’s time to make chocolate mascarpone layer: Mix mascarpone cheese with 1/2 of your chocolate pudding mixture using a hand mixer.
- Wash the currants and remove the berries from stems. Place them onto a paper kitchen towel to get rid of the excess water.
- Spoon the mascarpone mixture in 4 glasses. Pour over chocolate pudding and throw in currant berries.
- Serve right away or chilled – both ways are delicious! If you want to enjoy this dessert chilled, I suggest you leave it in the fridge 2+ hours!
Happy Summer with Happy Foods Tube!