Eggless Dark Chocolate Beetroot Brownies with a hint of beetroot are the right treat for anyone who loves combining ordinary ingredients in a bit unusual way!
This was my first time experimenting with beetroot in the kitchen. Well, in baking to be exact and I think it was a successful day! The beetroot goes well with chocolate and gives the brownies nice flavor.
What do you think about beetroot? Are you a fan of this dark purple vegetable or do you rather prefer avoiding it as much as you can? For a long time I was in the second group. Avoiding it… Actually up until last week I didn’t know what a fresh beet tasted like! Imagine! Yeah, I know. As a kid I was forced to eat pickled beetroot and I didn’t like it at all so I guess that was why I had been avoiding eating it! But I have changed my view on this earthy vegetable and will definitely be included in more dishes in our kitchen!
Watch the video for this recipe:
Eggless Dark Chocolate Beetroot Brownies with a hint of beetroot are the right treat for anyone who loves combining ordinary ingredients in a bit unusual way.
- If you buy fresh beetroot, you have two options: 1. Peel, boil & puree it. 2. Peel & grate it. If you buy ready cooked beetroot, then you simply puree it in a food processor. You can also grate it but it’s messier.
- Once your beetroot is sorted, move onto the chocolate. Melt it over a pan of simmering water (bain-marie) altogether with the butter. When melted, add the caster sugar and mix until well blended (the sugar will not dissolve so don’t worry about this).
- Put the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and baking powder in a large bowl. Mix well. Pour in the apple puree, chocolate mix & pureed (or grated) beetroot. With a wooden spoon combine all the ingredients together.
- Pour into a square cake tin that has been lined with baking paper. Transfer into a preheated oven and bake at 190⁰C/375⁰F for 50 mins or until ready.
- Once ready, let it cool at room temperature, slice and serve!
Browse more Dessert Recipes or visit our channel to see the videos.