A simple, yet delicious recipe for slow cooker apples and onions. With an easy and quick prep and hassle-free cooking, it is the perfect side for all kinds of mains, not only pork!
I am also using pears in this recipe simply because they go so well here, and it would be a shame not to use them when they are in season.
A splash of red wine is optional but if you have an opened bottle sitting on your counter, why not add some!
How to make crock pot apples and onions
Ingredients you will need:
- Black pepper
- Herbs de Provence
- Unsalted butter
- A splash of red wine (optional)
Kitchen gadgets and tools:
- Slow cooker
- Knife & chopping board
- Measuring spoon (optional)
Quick overview of the recipe:
Pears, apples, onion, salt, pepper and herbs are mixed either in a slow cooker or in a separate bowl. To this, a small amount of butter is added.
Cooking time can vary, and it also depends on how soft you like the fruits. Simply taste during the cooking process and adjust the time accordingly. You can’t go wrong with this recipe.
What main dish goes well with this recipe?
Most people traditionally serve braised apples and onions with pork. But did you know that it also goes so well with duck recipes? Try adding duck breast in the crock pot at the same time as apples, pears and onions!
You can also serve it with turkey (perhaps instead of a cranberry sauce or alongside it) and stuffing.
What pears and apples should I use?
It depends on what you like but I personally don’t mind using any type. I would say avoid using fruit that is overripe. Each type is different and so will be their cooking time.
Now that being said, it does not really matter. You want the apples and pears to be to your liking – whether it is “crispier” or mushier so simply taste them throughout the cooking process and turn the cooker off when they are to your liking.
What does this recipe contain?
Refined sugar: No
More winter side dishes for you to try:
- Braised Red Cabbage – I cook it in instant pot as it is the easiest way and the cabbage is so good!
- Garlic Smashed Potatoes
- Cabbage and Bacon
- Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges
Slow Cooker Apples and Onions
- 3 apples (medium-large), see note 1
- 2 pears , see note 2
- 1 red onion (small) , see note 3
- 1 teaspoon herbs de provence
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- black pepper , a generous pinch
- red wine , a splash (optional)
- 1 tablespoon butter (15 grams)
- Turn on slow cooker on low or high.
- Half and core apples and pears. Remove the seeds and stems. Add them to the slow cooker as you go.
- Cut the onion in half, peel the skin off and slice it thinly. Add to the pot.
- Add herbs, salt, pepper and wine (if using) and stir well. Top it with butter and cover with lid.
- Cook covered on high for 1.5 to 2 hours or low for 4 hours or until to your liking.
- Recommended: Stir 2-3 times during cooking.
- Enjoy warm!
- Use any apples you like.
- Use any variety of pears you have on hand or like but try avoiding overripe fruits.
- White onion will also work.
- Cooking time may vary. This will depend on the brand of your crock pot, its size as well as the size of fruits, their ripeness and your liking.
- You can also prepare a large batch and once ready cooked, let it cool and divide into several Ziploc bags. Then, take out, thaw and reheat when needed!
- You will need a 3-quart (3-liter) slow cooker. To double the batch, you will need a larger slow cooker.
- Check the post for ideas on what mains to serve this with.