This is an easy recipe for slow cooker whole chicken that also includes leftover chicken recipe ideas. Rubbed with homemade seasoning and stuffed with apples and onion, this crock pot chicken is a tasty & hassle-free midweek dinner.
Making whole chicken in slow cooker can’t get any easier than this. All you need to do is season the chicken well and cook it until ready.
I also fill the chicken’s cavity with onion, apple and garlic but you don’t have to do this, if you don’t want to.
Can you put raw chicken in a slow cooker?
Yes, you can as long as you can fit it inside the cooker.
Does a slow cooker get hot enough to kill bacteria?
Yes. Slow cookers slowly simmer food and heat it to a temperature that is high enough to kill bacteria (if not sure about the temperatures of some foods, you might like to read through the FDA safe minimum internal temperature guide).
How long to cook whole chicken in slow cooker?
This will depend on the size of the chicken you bought. A 2-pound chicken will take about 3.5-4 hours on HIGH. The larger the bird, the longer it takes to cook it.
Do you put water in slow cooker with chicken?
You can, but it is not necessary. The chicken will release its juices (fat) while cooking so there will be plenty of liquid in your slow cooker and for that reason, there is no need to add any liquid at all.
How to make slow cooker whole chicken?
The whole process of making rotisserie style chicken in crock pot is easy and quick.
Coat the chicken with oil and rub the seasoning all over the whole chicken as well as on the inside. Fill it with quartered onion, apple and garlic.
Place it into your slow cooker and cover with a lid. Cook on high until ready. A 2-pound slow cooker whole chicken will take somewhere between 3.5-4 hours to cook.
If you would like your slow cooker whole chicken to have crispy skin, you will have to place it under a broiler for 5-10 minutes or in the oven until it reaches desired crispiness.
- I have a small slow cooker (4-quart/3.5-liter) and I can fit the 2-pound (1 kg) chicken in. I would not be able to fit anything larger than that inside so make sure to buy a chicken that fits in your cooker.
- To fill the cavity I used apple, onion and garlic. You can omit these, if you like or substitute apple with orange or lemon. Fresh rosemary sprigs are also great fillers.
- Instead of homemade chicken seasoning, feel free use your favorite rotisserie seasoning, if you like.
- This slow cooker whole chicken may take longer than 4 hours to cook. To be sure that it’s ready, measure its internal temperature with a food thermometer. It should read 165° Fahrenheit (74° Celsius).
If you don’t finish all of the crock pot whole chicken for dinner, why not try some of these leftover chicken recipes:
Because the chicken is fully cooked
Slow Cooker Whole Chicken
- 2 pounds Chicken , see note 1 (1 kg)
- 1 tablespoon Oil , see note 2
- 1 Apple , quartered
- 1 Small Onion , peeled & quartered
- 2 Garlic Cloves , peeled
- Coat the chicken with oil.
- In a small bowl, combine all the seasoning ingredients and mix well. Rub this all over the chicken as well as on the inside. Stuff the chicken with onion, apple and garlic.
- Place it inside your slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 3.5-4 hours or until cooked through (the internal temperature must reach 165° Fahrenheit/74° Celsius).
- Use fresh-raw chicken, not frozen one. Make sure to clean the chicken first – i.e. remove giblets or anything that could be still left in its cavity.
- Oil – I use extra virgin olive oil, but you can use regular cooking olive oil or vegetable/sunflower oil instead.
- If you want to use your favorite chicken seasoning, then go ahead and do so.
- Apples, onion and garlic can be all omitted.
- For more information, tips, FAQ, I recommend reading the full post above this recipe card.
- I used a small slow cooker (4-quart/3.5-liter) to make this 2-pound chicken. If you want to cook larger chicken, you will need large slow cooker. The cooking time will also increase.