I could eat pasta every day. Especially pasta with tomato based sauces. What about you? Are you pasta addicts as well?
This recipe has been created by accident really. I had one of those days when my fridge was literally empty. Well, there were just some bits and pieces like half empty jars, some sauces, tiny piece of cheese, and some vegetables. Have you ever had one of those days as well?
So I was standing in front of an opened fridge thinking to myself what on earth to cook. I didn’t feel like creating any new recipes but I knew that I had no ingredients for the usual = easy-peasy stuff.
And so I basically started cutting & slicing everything I found around, adding it to the pan and while it was sautéing I still wasn’t happy so emptied some more jars added some seasoning, tomato puree and let it simmer for a while before tasting it. And guess what? I was sooo delighted with my sauce! It was fast and tasty and best of all without even planning I actually developed a new recipe!
So just in case you were interested in trying out this simple pasta sauce here is the recipe:
Vegetarian Pasta Sauce with Caper Berries
- 1 Medium Onion
- 2 Large Carrots
- 1 Leek
- A handful of Olives , pitted
- 1 Red Pepper
- 200 ml Tomato Passatta or Tomato Puree (not Tomato Paste)
- A Few Basil Leaves
- 1 tsp Dried Marjoram (or Oregano)
- A Few Caper Berries (they are really salty, better add only about 5)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt to taste
- + Pasta of your choice
- Grated cheese (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan or a sauce pan. Add the onion, diced.
- Wash and peel the carrots. Now use the peeler to get thin strips. Add to the pan.
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Cook your pasta according to the instructions.
- Slice leek and pepper. Add them to the pan. Sauté until all vegetables are soft.
- Add sliced caper berries, pitted olives (full or sliced) and tomato puree to the vegetable mix.
- Bring to the boil. Add 50ml water and reduce the heat. Taste it.If not salty enough, add some salt. Season with marjoram and let it simmer for about 10 more minutes. At last add some fresh basil leaves.
- Serve with pasta of your choice and grated cheese (optional).
Happy Cooking with Happy Foods Tube!
Browse more tasty Recipes or visit our channel to see the videos.