These jalapeño mashed potato croquettes are the perfect use for leftover mashed potatoes. Just add some cheese, jalapeños, deep fry them and enjoy!
Jalapeño mashed potato croquettes can be enjoyed as appetizers or as a side. They can be warm or cold but I personally prefer them warm.
Guys, leftover mashed potatoes can be also used to make Mashed Potato Flatbread. If you haven’t tried it yet, I highly recommend doing so. It’s hard not to love this flatbread as it’s so versatile and tasty.
Now speaking of flatbread I must also mention Sweet Potato Flatbread that is equally delicious. My third favorite flat(ish) bread is Italian Focaccia with olives and thyme. Now this bread is not made with any leftovers but it’s a crowd pleaser!
To make jalapeno mashed potato croquettes you will need 10 ingredients:
- Mashed Potatoes
- Sunflower Oil
- Sweet Paprika
Step-by-step how to make Potato Croquettes with Jalapeños:
Mix together mashed potatoes and grated cheese. You can taste the mixture at this stage and add seasoning if needed.
However, if you are using leftover mashed potatoes, I’d say you have already seasoned it well so there might not be any salt needed at all. Also some types of cheese are saltier than others so just taste it to see if you are happy with its taste or not.
Now the next step is pretty straight forward. Take jalapeno slice and wrap it in potato mash mix. Roll it into a bowl. I prefer making smaller croquettes. I think they look nicer, you get more out of the mix and you can eat them in one bite.
Beat the egg. In a bowl, mix the breadcrumbs with sweet paprika, salt and thyme. Take one croquette and dip it in the egg mix and coat in breadcrumbs.
Repeat this again – you need to double coat them. If you don’t do this there is a pretty high chance your croquettes will burst open while frying.
Deep-frying will only take a minute but make sure the oil is hot enough before adding the potato croquettes in.
Serve these mashed potato croquettes with a dip of your choice as an appetizer or as a side.
Can you make croquettes in the oven?
Yes, you can! The baking time is around 10-15 minutes.
Baked vs deep fried mashed potato croquettes
If you are after healthier option, then baked ones are the way to go.
If you like crispier and golden brown, then go for the deep fried croquettes.
Also baking takes longer but you can bake more of them at once. When frying them, you are limited by the size of your fryer.
Good to know:
I used Panko style breadcrumbs to make these mashed potato croquettes. Check out the difference between ordinary breadcrumbs and Panko breadcrumbs if you are not sure.
Jalapeno Mashed Potato Croquettes
- 1 cup Mashed Potatoes (220 grams)
- ⅔ cup Grated Cheese (Cheddar, Parmesan)
- ¼ cup Jalapeños , sliced
- ½ teaspoon Salt , optional
For the breadcrumbs:
- 3-4 cups Sunflower Oil
- In a bowl, combine the mashed potatoes and grated cheese. Taste the mixture. Season with salt and pepper, if needed.
- Take a slice of jalapeno and wrap it in potato mash mixture. Press together and roll into a bowl. Repeat until you use up all the potato mash.
- Now mix the breadcrumbs with paprika and thyme. Beat the egg. Dip each croquette in egg wash and then coat with the breadcrumb mixture. Repeat again – you need to double coat them. Repeat with the rest of the croquettes.
- Heat up the oil in a medium sauce pan. When the oil is hot enough, add half of the croquettes in. Once they have nice golden brown color, take them out and place onto a few sheets of paper kitchen towel to get rid of the excess oil. Repeat with the other half.