Refreshing and ready in minutes Spanish Calimocho is the perfect summer cocktail. Also known as Rioja libre, this red wine spritzer is an easy and inexpensive drink that anyone can make.
So guys, how many of you like Red Wine Sangria? It’s perfect for outdoor entertaining, don’t you think so?
Now Spanish Calimocho is another great cocktail to make especially when you are planning on spending time outdoors with your friends or family and you need some refreshing drink that is fast to make and crowds love it.
This easy to make Spanish summer drink is ready in 5 minutes. And it’s a great alternative to sangria. One of the reasons why this is a popular drink during warm summer months is the fact that it’s not as strong as other cocktails (like this Cuban Orange Mojito).
So what is Spanish Calimocho?
Calimocho recipe is extremely easy. This simple cocktail consists of equal parts of red wine and Coca-Cola. It is usually served over a lot of ice. So basically, it’s a red wine spritzer made with coke. That is it!
This drink originated in Spain – in the Basque region (Northern Spain). These days it can be found in many European bars and restaurants and also across South America.
What we like about Spanish red wine spritzer
- Perfect cocktail for summer
- Simple ingredients
- Easily affordable drink
What wine to use to make Spanish Calimocho?
Now originally, a cheap wine was used to make this cocktail. You can use your favorite wine, but because you will be mixing it with coke, don’t buy the most expensive one. Any cheaper one will do the trick.
How to make Calimocho drink
In a jug mix together wine and coke. Throw in some lemon slices and mint and chill in the fridge.
That is it, guys! It is that easy.
Tips for making Spanish Calimocho
- Serve chilled with lots of ice! Now the more ice you use the more diluted the cocktail will become so you might wanna increase the amount of wine slightly. Another option is to chill the wine and coke separately before mixing them together.
- Mint leaves are completely optional to use.
- This drink is also perfect for Spanish themed party. This and Homemade Churros should be on your menu.
So guys, if you haven’t tried it yet here is your chance! And if you think that red wine and Coca-Cola don’t go together, just try for yourself to see.
Let me know in the comment section what you think.
- 2 cups Red Wine
- 2 cups Coca Cola
- 1 Lemon , optional
- Fresh Mint , optional
- Ice Cubes
- In a jug combine the wine and coke. Throw in sliced lemon.
- Chill in the fridge before serving or use ice. Garnish with mint.
- Lemon and mint can be completely omitted.
- The red wine to coke ratio can be adjusted to your liking.
- I highly recommend chilling this drink before serving.