This refined sugar free watermelon agua fresca is as healthy as it can get. It’s low in calories, plus you only need a few ingredients and 5 minutes to make this refreshing summer drink.
You can prepare agua fresca with watermelon in advance, which makes it a great summer party drink.
Aguas frescas are tasty and refreshing, and perfect for those who don’t like drinking just water. They are versatile and healthy (if you choose to enjoy them with a healthy sweetener), and only take minutes to make.
You can experiment with various flavor combos or use just one type of fruit if you prefer things simple.
How to make watermelon agua fresca?
Blend watermelon, water and maple syrup in a blender. Add, lemon, stir and taste it. If you like it, you are done, if not adjust to your liking.
Straining watermelon agua fresca will get rid of most of the pulp as well as any seeds that have not been blended. This step is optional, but I would recommend doing so. It will give you a closer taste to water rather than a juice.
Make sure to chill it well in the fridge before serving.
When stored in a sealed jar/jug it should last several days. We usually drink it within 3 days.
1 cup of this refreshing summer drink contains only 85 calories.
This number can be even lower if you don’t sweeten it with anything.
- Fresh mint leaves
- Lemon/lime slices
- Ice cubes
- Watermelon wedge
Tips for making the best watermelon agua fresca
- The sweeter the watermelon the tastier the agua fresca. Also, you might not need to add any sweetener at all.
- I used maple syrup as a sweetener to make it refined sugar-free and also healthier. You can use any sweetener you like. If you add honey, I recommend doing so after the first tasting and make sure to blend it well as honey does not melt well in cold water.
- You can add more water, if you like this flavored water lighter in taste. You will also get more out of it.
- To achieve the best flavor, I recommend using bottled water.
- If you don’t have time for chilling, use ice cubes (preferably the extra large ones, so they won’t dilute the water too much)!
I have a few more watermelon recipes that are worth giving a shot:
- Watermelon Feta Salad
- Watermelon Beet Juice – equally refreshing and so good for you. Try it as a post-workout drink!
- Watermelon Grape Juice
- Fresh Fruit Salad
Watermelon Agua Fresca
- 5-6 cups Watermelon Chunks
- 1 cup Water , see note 1
- 2 teaspoons Maple Syrup , see note 2
- 5 teaspoons Fresh Lemon Juice , see note 3
- In a blender, blend watermelon, water and maple syrup until ready. Add 5 teaspoons lemon juice (or to taste) and stir. Taste it and add more syrup, if you like.
- Strain (optional) and chill before serving.
- You can add more water if you prefer less intense watermelon flavor. I recommend using bottled water.
- Maple syrup can be omitted completely if your watermelon is sweet enough. You can also substitute it with white/brown sugar, honey or another sweetener of your choice.
- If you don’t have lemon, use lime instead!
- Watermelon agua fresca keeps well in the fridge. It will last for at least 3 days so you can make it ahead and enjoy whenever you like.
- You should get about 27 ounces (800 milliliters) of agua fresca out of this recipe.
- More useful tips can be found in the post above this recipe card.