This tossed salad with tuna is perfect for lunch, dinner, picnic or any summer outdoor entertaining. It’s ready on your table in 5 minutes, it’s not only quick, but also fresh and nutrient-rich.
It’s a simple tossed salad recipe with a basic dressing of good quality olive oil.
How to make tossed salad with tuna
Gather all the ingredients and combine them in a large bowl (the larger the better so you have space to toss the salad ingredients around). Toss and serve!
How long will tossed salad last in the fridge
This salad with tuna is best enjoyed right away, so I always recommend prepping it just before serving. It literally takes 5 minutes!
That being said, you can put it together (without olive oil and tuna) and store it in an airtight container in the fridge for a day or two. Then, just take it out and add the missing ingredients and mix well.
Any leftovers can also be kept in the fridge up to 2 days. Just remember, that once dressed, the leaves will wilt.
You can easily tweak/customize this tossed salad recipe to your liking. Here are a few ideas:
- Parmesan shavings
- A little splash of balsamic vinegar
- Cooked eggs – if you want to enjoy this tossed salad for lunch
Tossed Salad for a crowd
Even though this might not look like a lot of salad, if you serve it with main and other sides, this green salad with easily feed 8 people.
Plus, you can easily double the recipe (or adjust the ingredient quantities to your liking), if needed.
Tossed salad with tuna can be enjoyed as is or as a side with any meals you like (Potato Casserole), meats.
You can also substitute the canned tuna with grilled or seared tuna, or rotisserie chicken! If you don’t have tuna on hand, simply omit it and serve with grilled meats If you haven’t tried these Grilled Chicken Thighs, you are missing out!)
Homemade Focaccia goes also go well with this tossed salad. For a more filling meal, you can cook couscous or quinoa, if you like.
More tasty salad recipes to try this summer:
Tossed Salad with Tuna
- Put all the ingredients into a large bowl, toss and serve.
- I used a 6-ounce bag (175 grams) of lettuce leaves for this tossed salad recipe.
- You can use white, yellow or red onion or omit it completely and use only chives. However, it does give this tossed salad a nice crunch.
- Fresh chives can be omitted.
- You can add more, if you like. I don’t recommend substituting olive oil for other type of oil!
- This salad is best enjoyed right away. Any leftovers should be kept in an airtight container in the fridge and consumed within a day. If you want to make it ahead, I recommend leaving the olive oil out and pouring it over the salad right before serving.