Make a homemade fajita seasoning mix using the spices you already have on hand. This is the perfect blend for fajitas! It’s easy to make and ready in less than 5 minutes.
It had taken me a very long time to make my very own spice mix for fajitas. Truth be told, I have no idea why. Homemade fajita seasoning mix is so easy and ready within minutes!
Use it to make Skillet Chicken Fajitas or burritos!
How to make homemade fajita seasoning mix
What you need:
- 5 minutes of your time
- Jar/air-tight container
Now you can either mix everything in a jar and then just seal it or mix the spices in a separate bowl and transfer it into a container later.
I used salt, garlic powder, chili, paprika, cumin, black pepper, dried oregano, sugar and cornstarch in this homemade fajita seasoning mix recipe.
However, you can completely omit the sugar and cornstarch. Chili can be substituted with Cayenne pepper and if you have smoked paprika, then go ahead and use it!
The level of spiciness was perfect for us but you can increase it by adding more chili powder/Cayenne pepper, if that is what you like more.
Store this fajita seasoning mix in a cool dry place.
By the way, do you know where does the fajita come from? I must say that the fajita history is very interesting.
Fajita was originally a name for a skirt steak, not the entire dish. I guess, the word has completely lost its original meaning but it does not mean it has lost any flavors! I’d say it has just turned better over the time – thanks to people experimenting with various ingredients.
What do you think?
Homemade Fajita Seasoning Mix
- In a small bowl, mix all the ingredients until well combined. Transfer into a jar, seal it with a lid.
- Store in a cool and dry place.
- 2-2½ tablespoons should be enough for 1 pound (450 grams) of chicken pieces.
- Store in an air-tight container/jar.
- Cornstarch and sugar can be completely omitted.
- The amount of salt can be slightly reduced.
- If you don’t have Cayenne pepper, use chili powder instead.