Yeast-free recipe for easy homemade breadsticks made with puff pastry and seeds. These versatile and easy to make party snacks are perfect for dips or creamy soups!
These homemade breadsticks are also my go to recipe when I need something homemade yet fast to snack on while waiting for dinner to be cooked!
3 ingredients is all it takes to make these easy homemade breadsticks. Puff pastry, beaten egg and seeds of your choice.
What I love about these easy homemade breadsticks:
- Easy and quick recipe – using pre-rolled ready-made puff pastry helps a lot and makes the whole process extra quick and smooth.
- Perfect for baking with kids – let them help you. There are only a few steps to follow that kids can easily manage.
- Homemade snack/appetizer – while you are using a shop-bought pastry, you are still making them yourself. However, if you like making homemade puff pastry, then go for it!
- No-fuss prep – 3 ingredients and 5 minutes is literally all it takes to put these easy homemade breadsticks together.
- Endless topping options – top them with any seeds you like (or go for herbs/parmesan/salt – it’s up to you!
- Perfect for parties or family gatherings.
Talking about the seeds – to make these easy homemade breadsticks you can use poppy seeds, chia seeds, caraway seeds, white or black sesame seeds. Sunflower seeds or pine seeds work also well. I used a mix of seeds to make Sweet Chili Puff Pastry Breadsticks that are also popular in our house.
Now if you like entertaining at home and want to impress your guests, I recommend making Mango Chicken Puffs. They are one of my favorite appetizers: rotisserie chicken combined with mango chutney and sandwiched in between puffed pastry.
How to make these easy homemade breadsticks:
To save time use a rectangular pre-rolled puff pastry sheet. Brush the pastry with beaten egg and sprinkle with seeds of your choice.
Now slice the pastry into any length you like just make sure you cut them thin. I love using a pizza cutter for this as it is the quickest and easiest way to do it.
Transfer them onto a baking tray lined with silicone mat or baking paper.
Place the in a preheated oven and bake until they are golden brown and puffed up. The baking time may vary – depending on the thickness of your puff pastry sheet and package instructions. If you like trying new things, then you can make your own puff pastry.
Good to know before making these easy homemade breadsticks
- I get about 40 breadsticks out of my pastry sheet. They are usually about 6-inch (15cm) long. Now the amount of breadsticks you get out of this recipe will depend on the size of you pastry.
- Make sure you start with preheating the oven first as the prep will be pretty quick.
- 10-15 minutes should be all it takes to bake these. Towards the end they can go pretty fast from pale to being burnt so just keep an eye on them.
Easy Homemade Breadsticks
- 1 Ready-Rolled Rectangular Puff Pastry Sheet (10oz/275g)
- 1 Medium Egg , beaten
- 4 tbsp Seeds of Your Choice
- Preheat the oven to 356°F/180°C.
- Unfold the pastry sheet and brush it with beaten egg. Sprinkle with seeds and cut into thin strips (about 0.5 inch/1.5cm wide).
- Transfer individually on a baking tray lined with silicone mat or baking paper.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until they are puffed and golden brown.
- Baking these breadsticks might take even less than 15 minutes. This would depend on you’re the thickness of your sticks and also on your oven. I suggest you keep an eye on them towards the end.
- Seeds – use any seeds you like – sesame seeds, chia seeds, poppy seeds, caraway seeds.