Bring plain rice cakes to a whole new level with these quick rice cake topping ideas! 6 easy and tasty rice cakes that are perfect for breakfast, lunch or afternoon snack.
I hope to inspire you with these rice cake topping ideas so that you give some of them a go. They are pretty customizable so don’t be afraid to try adding something more or omitting what you don’t like.
Rice cakes are also naturally gluten-free (see note in the “Useful Tips” section for more information) and so are all these rice cake topping ideas.
What are rice cakes?
Rice cakes are a snack, made from puffed rice that is pressed together into a round-shaped “cake”. They are low in calories which is why they are a favorite substitution for bread.
Stores offer all sorts of rice cakes. Brown, white or flavored (e.g.: olive, sun-flower rice cakes …).
What tastes good on rice cakes?
As you can see from the photos, I am showing you my favorite rice cake topping ideas but the possibilities are endless. Also, it will depend on what you like. Because I love the Raspberry & Nutella flavor combo, it does not mean you will love it too.
You just need to try and experiment with flavors!
Here are my 6 favorite rice cake toppings:
- Raspberry & Nutella
- Cream Cheese & Chives
- Hummus & Sun-dried Tomatoes
- Avocado & Alfalfa Sprouts
- Feta Cheese & Olives
- Gorgonzola & Pear
Rice cake topping ideas – Useful tips:
Plain rice cakes are naturally gluten-free. However, some companies mix rice with other products that are not gluten-free so for that reason always read label, if you are gluten intolerant.
I love using sun-dried tomatoes in oil because they are soft and juicier. You can also use the dry tomatoes (if you like them) but make sure to re-hydrate them before using.
Hummus – now here you can go wild and use any kind of hummus you like. Here are some tasty homemade ideas for you:
Olives – either black or green will work here.
Alfalfa sprouts can be substituted with any other sprouts.
More rice cake topping ideas:
- Peanut Butter & Banana
- Cream Cheese & Radish
- Ham & Cheese & Cucumber
- Rice Cakes with Hummus and Roasted Tomatoes
6 Quick Rice Cake Topping Ideas
For Raspberry & Nutella:
- 1 tablespoon Nutella
- ¼ cup Fresh Raspberries
For Cream Cheese & Chives:
- 2 tablespoons Cream Cheese
- Fresh Chives , a generous amount
For Hummus & Sun-Dried Tomato:
- 3 tablespoons Hummus
- Sun-Dried Tomatoes in oil , see note
For Avocado & Alfalfa Sprouts:
- 1 Medium Avocado , ripe, mashed
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 teaspoon Chia Seeds
- Alfalfa Sprouts , to your liking
For Feta & Olives:
- Raspberry & Nutella: Spread Nutella over a rice cake and top it with fresh raspberries.
- Cream Cheese & Chives: Spread cream cheese over a rice cake and top it with chopped fresh chives.
- Hummus & Sun-dried Tomato: Spread hummus over a rice cake and top it with sliced sun-dried tomatoes.
- Avocado & Alfalfa Sprouts: In a bowl, mash the avocado flesh and combine it with lemon juice and chia seeds. Spread it over a rice cake and top with sprouts.
- Feta & Olives: Spread pesto over a rice cake and top it with crumbled feta and a few pitted olives. Sprinkle dried oregano over.
- Gorgonzola & Pear: Spread Gorgonzola cheese over a rice cake and top it with sliced pear, roughly chopped walnuts and a drizzle of honey.
- All the ingredients and their amounts can be adjusted to your liking. Use more/less, if you like. I made them the way we like them, but you can find your favorite way.
- Use sun-dried tomatoes in oil but make sure to pat dry each one of them first to get rid of the excess oil.
- Red pesto can be substituted with green pesto if you like.
- The preparation time will vary dependent on what rice cake you choose to make. Some will take less than 3 minutes while other might take a little longer.
- The nutritional information is stated as an example. The number were calculated with Raspberry & Nutella.