This Strawberry salad with poppy seed dressing is the perfect barbecue side dish! Combine strawberries, lettuce & spring onions with tasty 3-ingredient sweet dressing.
So it’s official. I am in a salad making mood! You see it’s hard not to be when you visit your parents and their garden is packed with organic produce. Delicious looking fruits and veggies have been waiting for me to come and make something delicious with them.
And I have been doing so! Trying new flavor combos and new recipes has been my number 1 priority since my arrival here.
My first salad dish I whipped up at my parents was this strawberry salad with poppy seed dressing. It was about a week ago and we were having a barbecue.
Now I don’t know if you agree with me but to me a good barbecue is not only about the perfectly grilled meat but also about the bits and pieces that you don’t put on a grill. Things like desserts, fun drinks and salads!
Salad is a perfect companion of grilled meat or grilled fish. Summer calls for light & colorful salads such as Watermelon Cherry Salad, Kale Mango Salad or Mediterranean Green Salad. If you make one of those or this strawberry salad I am sure your guests will love them as much as we do!
Now just so you know my parents were skeptical when they saw strawberries combined with lettuce and spring onion. However, they were pleasantly surprised by its taste.
They both loved the poppy seed salad dressing which I think gave the salad the unique taste and blended everything together perfectly.
Good to know when making this strawberry salad
Make this salad right before serving! You don’t want to end up with wilted lettuce. Also strawberries go off pretty fast once washed and sliced.
- Butter Lettuce – This is a mild lettuce but if you don’t like it or can’t find it in your local shop, romaine lettuce will work well here too.
- Spring Onion – White onion (thinly sliced) or red onion could be used as well.
- Poppy Seeds – You can omit these or use chia seeds instead.
Strawberry Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing
- 1 Head Butter Lettuce
- 2 cups Fresh Strawberries
- 2 Spring Onions
- Rinse lettuce, strawberries and onions under running water. Chop everything and place them in a serving bowl. Mix using salad servers or your hands.
- To make the dressing, mix all the ingredients in a jar/cup and pour over the salad. Mix the salad again, if needed.
- Serve immediately.