This easy-to-make cold quinoa salad with feta and arugula is great for a quick lunch or light dinner. It’s packed with protein, naturally gluten-free and it’s good for you!
Why we love making cold quinoa salad
- High in protein (thanks to feta and quinoa)
- Healthy lunch/dinner option – this fresh salad is packed with vitamins and minerals, fiber
- Quick and easy recipe
- Quinoa can be made ahead – perfect for meal prep
- Recipe ingredients can be adjusted to your liking – use more/less tomatoes, arugula/feta …
Can you eat cooked quinoa cold?
Yes, you can.
By the way this cold quinoa salad can be also enjoyed warm.
Looking for more quinoa recipes?
- Quinoa Muffins
- Roasted Butternut Squash
- If this salad is not your thing try serving cooked quinoa with Instant Pot Sweet Potato Curry.
How to make cold quinoa salad with feta and arugula
The whole process is very simple. Cooked and chilled quinoa is mixed with crumble feta cheese, halved cherry tomatoes, slices of fresh chili and arugula leaves.
What to put in quinoa to make it taste good?
This depends on your taste. To make this cold quinoa salad I used turmeric powder, butter and dried thyme to flavor the quinoa + salt.
You don’t have to use all these if you don’t have them on hand. You can also try using different spices/herbs to make this cold quinoa salad to your liking.
A little bit of oregano, marjoram or rosemary, black pepper, cumin, Greek seasoning. I sometimes add my Homemade Italian Seasoning, if I have it on hand.
Just remember to add a little at a time, mix well and taste. Add more only if needed.
How do you cook 1 cup of quinoa?
I like to follow the package instructions and I recommend you do the same. I cook one cup of quinoa in 3 cups of water. The water will be completely absorbed so there is no need to drain it.
Now the time can vary also – to cook the white quinoa I usually need about 15 minutes (10 minutes on high and then covered for 5 minutes).
Tips for making cold quinoa salad with feta and arugula
- Follow quinoa package instructions for cooking to achieve best results (different types of quinoa have different cooking times).
- Cold quinoa salad is a great recipe for people who have little time to cook as the quinoa can be cooked ahead and stored in the fridge until ready to use.
- I used mild chili pepper, but it was enough to my taste. Now you can use any chili pepper you like but I recommend using the ones you are familiar with. Use only as much/as little as you can handle.
- Rinse quinoa well under cold running water. This will its bitterness.
Cold Quinoa Salad with Feta and Arugula
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions. Season with salt, if you haven’t already (I use about 1 tsp for cooking and then season at the very end, if needed).
- Wash the cherry tomatoes and cut them in halves. Wash and thinly slice the chili pepper (see note 1).
- When the quinoa is cooked, stir in butter, turmeric powder and thyme. Taste it and season more if needed.
- Chill until ready to use. If you prefer warm salad, serve right away.
- In a bowl, combine the cooked quinoa, arugula, tomatoes and sprinkle with crumbled Feta and fresh chili slices.
- If you don’t like chilies, do not use them. If you do, use the ones you are familiar with and use as much as you like (or as much as you can handle).
- This recipe can be easily adjusted to your liking – use more/less tomatoes, arugula, feta, add radish, chives or finely chopped spring onion.
- Serve for lunch or light dinner. This recipe yields 2-3 portions.
- For more tips or if in doubt, please have a look at the whole post.
- The overall time does not include time needed for quinoa to chill. This can be done the night before or in the morning.