Bacon red bean salad is a simple, yet delicious side made with easy to get ingredients! It’s quick to make and perfect for picnics or entertaining at home!
Guys, guys, guys… This bean salad with bacon should be on your summer menu list! If you love easy-peasy recipes, you will love this one. It can be eaten as a side or main (which was my case yesterday and I tell you I did not want to share it with anyone).
Now when I mad this bacon red bean salad recipe I tasted it at room temperature as well as chilled. I can tell you honestly that the cold version is the best! By chilling it in the fridge the flavors have time to develop more and make it yummier.
By the way, beans are an excellent source of protein and thanks to their fiber content they help us feel full longer. If you are looking for more recipes with beans check these out:
How to make bacon red bean salad recipe:
The preparation will only take you a few minutes, especially when you use cooked beans and bacon. Make the mayonnaise dressing by mixing mayo with sour cream, salt and pepper. Squeeze in lemon juice to your taste (I used juice from ½ medium lemon) and add finely chopped cilantro.
Mix this easy dressing with drained beans, diced apples and cooked bacon. Place in your fridge for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Good to know:
- You can use any type of bacon you like (pancetta will work well here too). If you can’t buy cooked one, buy raw and fry it on a frying pan until done.
- If you feel like you would add more apples, reduce beans or increase the amount of bacon – go ahead. I liked it this way but you can’t go wrong here. Just try and you’ll see what works for you.
- Sour cream can be substituted for natural (plain) yogurt. However, I find that the sour cream makes this red bean salad tastier.
Want to see how to make Bacon Red Bean Salad? Watch the video!
- In a bowl combine diced apples, cooked bacon cut into small pieces/strips and sliced leek.
- Mix together mayonnaise, sour cream, finely chopped cilantro, salt and lemon juice. Pour this over the salad and mix until well combined.
Chill in the fridge at least 20-30 minutes before serving.