This grilled corn with pear chorizo salad is a yummy appetizer! The simple grilled sweet corn has been taken to the next level by serving it with pear chorizo salad! Sweet corn lovers, it’s a must-try this summer!
This week I have been reminiscing a lot! It wasn’t my intention to do so. It just happened. It usually happens when I cook certain dishes or eat certain foods. Would you believe that corn on the cob is among those foods?
A few times every summer I and my cousins would gather around the table in our grandmother’s back yard. We would wait for the cooked corn to be cooled down a bit, just a bit so we could hold it in our hands. Once in our hands we would try eat it even though it STILL was too hot to eat. But we would try anyways. As far as the toppings go we would use salt only! No fancy “toppings”. Just salt! It couldn’t get any simpler than that but we loved it!
Well, I loved the whole “eating sweet corn-outside-with my cousins” atmosphere more than the actual corn to be honest. I guess I now know why! It was several years later I realized that it must have been field corn we were eating! People! I repeat field corn! Have you ever tasted field corn? I bet you haven’t!
So let me explain what a field corn is:
Field corn and sweet corn are like day and night. Sweet corn is specifically grown for human consumption while the field corn is grown for other purposes like feeding animals, making various food products, goods, etc.
Now this doesn’t mean that you can’t eat the field corn. Because you can! But… it will be like 10 times less sweet and 10 times tougher than the sweet corn.
If someone offered me field corn now I don’t think I would appreciate it at all. In fact, I would probably think they were joking! But anyways, I have many great memories with field corn that will stay forever. It’s just… I won’t be eating it any time soon!
As far as this grilled sweet corn goes, there is nothing difficult about making it. I made it on my grill pan because I was in a hurry (and by hurry I mean – I was starving) but use a proper grill if you have one – it will taste even better.
The pear chorizo salad is a yummy addition to your grilled corn and I would say it brings it to a whole new level.
There is nothing difficult about my pear chorizo salad. All you have to do is throw the ingredients in a pan and roast it a bit. I started off with chorizo strips. Brown them a bit. There is no need to add oil or butter as they will release some oil. In goes the garlic followed by pears. Make sure your pears taste nice. I have already made this with pears that had no taste whatsoever and let me tell you delicious was not the word I would describe the taste.
Parsley is like seasoning, it give the salad a nice flavor. There was no need to use salt as chorizo was salty enough.
At last this pear chorizo salad is topped with Feta cheese because everything is better with Feta cheese!
This grilled corn with pear chorizo salad is my favorite sweet corn recipe this summer! What is yours?
Grilled Corn with Pear Chorizo Salad
- Grill 4 corns using a grill pan or a grill. Once they are ready, set them aside.
- Cut the sliced chorizo into strips and throw the strips into a frying pan/or grill pan, if using (no need to make another pan dirty if the grill pan has been used for grilling the corns).
- Wash and cut the pears into quarters. Remove the hard parts before cutting them into cubes. Throw them in the pan. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Peel and thinly slice garlic. Cut corn of its cob and add the kernels as well as sliced garlic to the chorizo. Add butter and roast for 2-3 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Now wash and finely chop the parsley and throw it in the pan as well.
- Add a splash of balsamic vinegar and cook for a further 1-2 before turning off the heat.
- Cut each cob into 3 pieces and place on a plate. Spoon some of the salad next to it and top with Feta cheese.
Happy Cooking with Happy Foods Tube!
Browse more Salad Recipes or visit our channel to see the videos.