Instant Pot Bolognese Sauce is a quicker version of this classic Italian dinner recipe. No hassle, quicker than on stove top but equally delicious!
Guys, if you like Spaghetti Bolognese, then you will definitely enjoy this Instant Pot Bolognese Sauce.
What to cook in Instant Pot?
There are endless possibilities when it comes to cooking in pressure cooker. Soups, stews, pasta sauces (see this pressure cooker Bolognese sauce), rice (check my Fried Rice), chili or curry dishes (Chicken Curry), pulled pork. There are hundreds of recipes you can make in your Instant Pot!
Step by step – How to make Bolognese sauce in Instant Pot:
Prep the veggies: Dice the carrots, celery and finely chop the onion. Press the “SAUTE” function and throw all the veggies in. Saute this for about 5 minutes. Turn off the saute function and add the rest of the ingredients.
Mix everything well and close the lid. I buy plum tinned tomatoes so I like to break them with a wooden spoon before I close the lid.
Turn the steam release to “SEALING” position. Press “MANUAL” and adjust the time to 5 minutes. Yes, 5 minutes is all it takes to make this Instant Pot Bolognese Sauce.
Remember, that the pressure cooker needs time before AND after the active cooking time to bring the pot to pressure and then release the pressure. This time varies with every dish.
When making this Instant Pot Bolognese Sauce count with about 10 minutes for pressurizing and after the cooking is finished, wait 10 minutes before releasing the pressure.
Note: I add a lot of carrots and celery because they give this Bolognese sauce an amazing flavor and that is exactly how I was taught to do it by an Italian. If you prefer more meat, rather than veggies, then simply decrease the amount of carrots and celery and increase the amount of ground meat.
I also recommend using less salt at the beginning and adding more (if needed) after the cooking is finished. Bear in mind that every salt has a different level of saltiness.
Instant Pot Bolognese sauce – Ingredient substitutions:
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – regular olive oil or sunflower/vegetable oil can be also used. However, I highly recommend using olive oil.
- Ground Beef or Pork – you can also use a mix of beef and pork.
- Celery, Carrots – these add this sauce a great flavor and I would not omit them. Because they are cooked in an Instant Pot, they are so soft they will melt in your mouth. However, you can reduce their amount if you feel like 3 of each sound too much for you.
Guys, I hope you will like this Instant Pot Bolognese Sauce as much as we do. It reduces the cooking time significantly and making Bolognese sauce in a pressure cooker is definitely worth it!
Check out more Easy Instant Pot Recipes!
Want to see how to make Instant Pot Bolognese Sauce? Watch the video!
Instant Pot Bolognese Sauce
- Dice the carrots and finely chop the onion. Slice or dice the celery.
- Turn on Instant Pot pressure cooker and press “SAUTE”. Pour in olive oil and add the carrots, onions and celery. Saute for 5 minutes before turning off the “SAUTE” function.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix them well. Break the plum tomatoes with a wooden spoon.
- Close and lock the lid. Turn the steam release to “SEALING”. Press “MANUAL” function and set the timer to 5 minutes.
- When time is up, turn it off and wait 10 minutes before releasing the pressure.
- Taste and add more salt and black pepper, if needed.