A simple avocado mayo recipe for healthy living and the perfect alternative to traditional mayonnaise. With just a few ingredients, you can whip up a flavorful spread for sandwiches, salads, and more.
6 ingredients and 5 minutes is all it takes to make it! It is vegan, dairy-free, and lactose-free. This homemade condiment contains good fats only and has no eggs in it!
How to make avocado mayo
- Olive oil
- Lime juice
- Garlic powder
- Spatula – To scrape off any whole pieces of the blender walls. A spoon or fork will also work.
- Knife and chopping board
- Re-sealable jar for storing
This recipe has a very simple prep. In a food blender, process all the ingredients until smooth and you are done. It literally takes less than 5 minutes!
Where to use it?
Sandwiches – As a spread.
Salads – As a mix-in or simply turn into a tasty dressing. In egg salad, use it as a healthy substitute.
Burgers – Yes, why not add it as a condiment when grilling some burgers? Whether they are with or without meat like buckwheat burgers, the mayo adds a ton of flavor to either of them!
French fries – Instead of regular mayonnaise! It will also be delicious with sweet potato fries!
- Take the recipe as a guide only. The quantities used may be changed to your liking. Garlic powder can be omitted.
- Instead of lime, you can use fresh lemon juice.
- For best results and to keep this homemade avocado mayo as healthy as possible, use olive oil, preferably the extra virgin kind. I recommend using the one you have already experienced with as some good quality oils tend to be bitter and this might not be to everyone’s taste.
- Keep in mind that as with many products, even different brands of salt and pepper might not taste the same. For that reason, be careful when adding seasoning. It is always better to start with less and taste several times (if needed) than end up with over-seasoned condiment.
- The lime juice stops the mayo from turning brown. If you use less of it, it may not be enough to keep its green color.
- You can use avocado oil as a substitute – it has a mild flavor but for the healthiest results, olive is the best.
- Make sure to use ripe avocados!
Frequently asked questions
There are 75 calories in a tablespoon.
If stored properly, it should keep up to 4 days in the fridge.
Keep it refrigerated in a glass jar or air-tight glass/plastic container. Make sure the lid is closed well and there is no air getting in.
Other homemade condiments
- 2 avocados (medium), see note 1
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil , see note 2
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- black pepper , a pinch
- In a food processor/blender, process together all the ingredients until smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking.
- Enjoy on a toast, in egg salad, with pasta, fries or anything you like!
- Avocados must be ripe! 2 medium avocados yield about 1.5 cups of flesh.
- Add more oil if you find it thick to your liking.
- When stored properly (in an air-tight container in the fridge) it should last up to 4 days.
Leave a Reply