This is an easy recipe for grilled chicken kabobs in fajita-style marinade. Serve these grilled fajita chicken skewers with a side of your choice or check below for some side dish recipe ideas.
If you don’t have a grill, don’t worry. Grilled chicken kabobs can be easily made in the oven. You’ll find instructions in the recipe card.
What to serve with grilled chicken kabobs?
Grilled chicken kabobs go well with a simple tossed salad. If you want to go fancier, you could serve it with Greek Salad or Couscous Salad and/or toasted (grilled) artisan bread or what about Garlic Bread?
Grilled Vegetables are also a delicious option.
You could also serve them Greek style with pita or naan bread and some fresh veggies like I did with these Beef Koftas.
How long do you cook chicken kabobs on the grill?
Cooking time will vary. This will depend on your grill as well as on the thickness of your chicken skewers.
We use simple charcoal grill with no lid and they usually take about 15 minutes to cook. If not sure, please use a food thermometer to check the internal temperature of your grilled chicken kabobs to make sure they are cooked through.
Tips for making the best grilled chicken fajita kebabs
- I am using my Homemade Fajita Seasoning that is ready in minutes, so no need to run to store for a special blend. I use it for Skillet Chicken Fajitas and everyone loves them. This blend does not contain any sugar. If you want, you can add about a teaspoon to the blend or use store-bought seasoning. If you do, follow the instructions on how much and also check if salt is included.
- For best results use chicken thighs. They are perfect for grilling. They stay juicy on the inside and make these chicken fajita kebabs taste amazing!
More grilled chicken recipes for you to try:
- Spicy Grilled Chicken Thighs – for those who like spicy foods.
- Grilled Boneless Chicken Thighs – our readers’ absolute favorite grilling recipe!
- Yogurt Marinated Grilled Chicken
Grilled Chicken Kabobs
- 4 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 3 tablespoons Lemon Juice , see note 1
Homemade Fajita seasoning:
For Chicken kabobs:
- 1 pound Chicken Thighs , skinless, boneless
- 1 Large Onion
- 1 Large Green Pepper
- In a ziploc bag (or a bowl/container), mix together olive oil, lemon juice and homemade fajita seasoning until well combined.
- Cut chicken thighs into 1 – 1.5-inch (3-4 centimeter) pieces and transfer these into the bag/bowl. Make sure they are all coated in the marinade before you zip the bag/cover the bowl and place it in the fridge. Marinate for at least 1 hour (see note 3).
- Cut onion into quarters and separate the layers. Dice the pepper.
- Thread chicken onto a 8-inch (20-centimeter) long skewer, after each piece of meat threaded add a piece of onion or pepper. Repeat until you have used all the ingredients.
- Grill on a hot grill until ready (see note 5), turning them over about 10 minutes into grilling or cook in the oven at 450° Fahrenheit (220° Celsius) for 15 minutes (or until cooked through and to your liking).
- Enjoy warm!
- You will need ½ to 1 small lemon, depending on how juicy it is. Store-bought lemon juice is a good substitution.
- Paprika – you can use regular or smoked paprika.
- You can marinade chicken thighs in the marinade from 1 hour up to 2 days. The longer you marinate, the more intense the flavor (the spicier and the saltier they get).
- This marinade is developed for 1 pound of chicken.
- Grilling time will vary. This will depend on the size of chicken pieces, on the temperature in your grill as well as its type. In general, count with about 15-20 minutes, but keep an eye on them. If not sure, check the internal temperature of the meat – it should read at least 165 Fahrenheit (74 Celsius).
- The post above contains serving suggestion ideas as well as some tips you might find helpful when making chicken fajita kebabs for the first time.