Hot chocolate spiked with rum is an easy recipe for homemade hot chocolate made from scratch, using real chocolate. This boozy drink is ready in 6 minutes and has a rich taste.
This spiked hot chocolate is the perfect drink to warm you up on a cold winter night! Make this adult-only hot chocolate for your next family gathering!
Omit rum, add more sweetener and marshmallows and kids can enjoy it as well!
How to make hot chocolate at home
Tools: For all homemade hot chocolate recipes, you will need a sauce pan and whisk.
Ingredients: To make hot chocolate spiked with rum you will need milk, dark chocolate, cinnamon, unsweetened cocoa powder, sugar (or other sweetener, if you like it sweet) and rum.
Pour milk into a sauce pan and heat it up until it starts to bubble around the edges. Reduce the heat and add roughly chopped chocolate. Theoretically, you don’t need to chop it. However, the larger the chunks, the longer they take to melt. Add cinnamon as well and stir until the chocolate melted completely.
Then, add cocoa powder and sugar and stir again until smooth.
Turn off the heat and stir rum. I use somewhere between 1-2 tablespoons. 1.5 is the optimal amount for me but you can add more, if you like or you want extra boozy hot chocolate.
Top it with marshmallows and chocolate shavings or drink as is.
What’s the difference between hot cocoa and hot chocolate?
Hot cocoa is made with cocoa powder, milk and sweetener while hot chocolate is made with real chocolate, milk and sweetener.
Now that being said, many people and places that sell hot chocolate don’t really pay attention to the difference. Often you pay for a cup of hot chocolate, but what you get is a cup of hot drink made with cocoa powder and water (not even milk).
What can I add to hot chocolate?
You can add anything you like! Here are some hot chocolate stir-ins and toppings ideas:
- Peanut butter
- Whipped cream
- A pinch of chili powder
This hot chocolate spiked with rum is a rich drink because it’s made with real chocolate. I used 1.5 ounces of dark chocolate with 70% cocoa content. You can reduce the chocolate amount to 1 ounce or little less or you can add more milk, if you like.
More hot chocolate recipes:
- Dulce de Leche Hot Chocolate
- Crema di Limoncello Hot Chocolate
- Gingerbread Hot Chocolate
- Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate
- Turmeric Hot Chocolate
Hot Chocolate Spiked with Rum
- Heat up the milk until it starts to bubble, reduce the heat to low and add chopped chocolate and cinnamon. Whisk until the chocolate is melted. Add cocoa powder and brown sugar and stir well for about a minute.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the rum.
- Serve warm with marshmallows (if you like).
- Milk – You can use either low fat or full fat milk.
- If you don’t have cinnamon on hand, you can omit it.
- Brown sugar can be substituted with white sugar or honey or maple syrup. Add as much as you like.
- Rum – you can add somewhere between 1-2 tablespoons. You can add more of course, but this I find too strong to my liking.
- Measurements: ml = milliliters, g = grams. To measure milk, I used measuring cup for dry ingredients.
- This recipe can be easily doubled, tripled ….