Crema di Limoncello hot chocolate is the perfect drink for the Holidays! To make this spiked hot chocolate, stir Crema di Limoncello into warm cocoa, top it with marshmallows, lemon zest and serve!
Nothing is better in winter than a cup of homemade hot chocolate. Do you agree?
I love it so much that every year I experiment with new flavors. This year I came up with Crema di Limoncello Hot Chocolate and Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate.
How to make hot chocolate with Crema di Limoncello
Get a small sauce pan and pour in milk. Add cocoa powder and heat it up while stirring constantly so that the cocoa powder dilutes in the milk. I like using a whisk to do this.
When the milk is warm and the cocoa is dissolved, add the chocolate and stir until it has melted. Once done you are basically done. Turn off the heat and stir in crema di limoncello. Taste it and add in sugar. The amount you add is entirely up to you.
5 minutes is all it takes to make a cup of this deliciousness!
What can I add to hot chocolate apart from Limoncello?
Guys, there are so many options out there. I have a few hot chocolate recipes on the blog that are perfect for this Holiday season:
- Gingerbread Hot Chocolate
- Dulce de Leche Hot Chocolate
- Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate
- You can also add Oreos, Nutella, maple syrup ….
- If you are looking for other alcoholic hot chocolate recipes then I have a recipe for Hot Chocolate Spiked with Rum.
Tips when making Crema di Limoncello hot chocolate
- If you don’t have brown sugar on hand, feel free to use white granulated sugar or other sweetener of your choice. You can also omit the sugar completely, if you prefer.
- I used marshmallows, crushed candy cane and lemon zest to top this hot chocolate. Plus I sprinkled some shredded coconut over as well. Now you can use whatever you like. It’s also OK to omit these but I suggest you use at least the lemon zest.
- Crema di Limoncello is different from Limoncello. It is creamy and made with milk or cream. I’ve never tried making it at home but there are various recipes showing you how to make crema di limoncello at home in case you were interested.
- The chocolate can be also omitted but increase the amount of cocoa powder to 2 tablespoons.
- I suggest adding limoncello before the sugar, taste it and only then add sugar. Some of you might not even need adding the sugar at all.
Crema di Limoncello Hot Chocolate
- Candy Cane , crushed
- 1 Small Lemon , zest only (highly recommended)
- In a sauce pan (over medium heat) whisk together the milk and cocoa powder until well combined. Add chocolate and stir until it has melted completely. Turn off the heat and add Crema di Limoncello.
- Taste it. Add sugar to your liking.
- Optional: top with marshmallows, zest from 1 lemon and crushed candy cane.
- I used 2% fat Milk. You can use low fat milk as well.
- Brown sugar can be substituted with white granulated sugar.
- The extras are completely optional and you can either omit them or use whipped cream instead.
- This recipe can be easily doubled/tripled ….