Easy homemade apple pie recipe with shortcrust pastry is as delicious as it sounds! Made from scratch including the pastry crust and simple apple pie filling!
Fall is the time when apples are in season! I remember we would have crates full of apples that would last us throughout winter. By us I mean grandparents but as I would spend a lot of time at their house I felt like the stuff belonged to me too. My grandmother would ask me regularly if I wanted an apple (or two or three). I guess because there were apples everywhere in the house I kind of did not feel like eating them all the time. I am sure you know what I mean.
Apples here, apples there, apples everywhere! Gran would give them to neighbors and family but there still would be a lot to go through the following months! What I liked though was when grandmother used them in baking and grandfather for making the best and purest apple juice you could get!
I wish I could taste that apple juice again! They had 3 different varieties of apple trees and because of that the juice would always taste a bit differently. It would depend on the ratio of each variety that went in for juicing. And by juicing, you must imagine old fashioned manual apple press made of metal and wood. I believe some people call it a cider press.
Apples went in and out went the juice. After a decent while of manual pressing we would be rewarded with the sweetest juice ever! We would drink it right away or let it ferment a few days. This lightly fermented cider was another delicious treat!
Want to see how to make Easy Homemade Apple Pie? Watch the video!
So that was where the majority of the apples would go to: baking, apple juice/cider making and eating raw. Oh and I forgot one more quiet popular way to use/preserve apples: Dried apple chips! This would be the classic winter pastime at my grandmother’s house – making dried apple chips! Have you ever tried them?
Do you have apple trees in your garden? If yes, then what to you use them for (apart from eating)? I mean apples, not the trees! Haha!
If you like using apples in baking, then you must try this simple apple pie! There is nothing difficult about it and doesn’t last long to prepare. You will have to wait 40-45 minutes until is cooked though.
Simple Apple Pie preparation:
Get Shortcrust Pastry – you can buy it OR you could make it yourself which I highly recommend as it only takes 10 minutes! 10 minutes of your time will get you delicious pastry which you can use to make not only this apple pie but also this Mixed Fruit Galette or this Rustic Pear Frangipane Tart.
Simple Apple Pie Filling
Dice the apples & mix them with brown sugar. Granny Smith variety is perfect for this apple pie. Granny Smith apples are the green ones and they are quite sour. Perfect for baking! I mixed here two types – not sure about the other red type – they could have been Fuji, Cox or maybe some other type. I simply used what I had on hand and you can too! If you use sweeter varieties, I recommend reducing the amount of sugar at least a bit.
This easy homemade apple pie recipe with fresh apples and Homemade Shortcrust Pastry is a must try recipe this fall. It’s pretty simple which makes it a great baking activity for kids. The sweet reward at the end will definitely make them happy!
Easy homemade apple pie recipe with shortcrust pastry is as delicious as it sounds. Made from scratch including the pastry crust and simple apple pie filling.
- Wash, core and dice the apples. Place them in a bowl with sugar. Mix until all the pieces are coated with sugar.
- Divide the pastry in 2. Take one piece and roll it out thin. Transfer it in a cake/sandwich tin that has been lined with baking paper and the sides and rim greased with butter. Press the pastry down and to the sides. If your pastry doesn’t cover the sides and rim – simply take some more and fill the gaps.
- Pierce the bottom with a fork.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180C/356F for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile: Roll out the other piece of pastry. Make sure it is wide enough to cover the cake tin.
- Once the crust is pre-baked, take it out and fill it with apples mixed with sugar. Brush the rim of the pastry with egg wash. Now it’s time to cover it with raw pastry. Press down the pastry to seal the edges so the juices won’t come out. Brush it with egg wash. Finally, make a cross/star in the middle and pierce the pastry several times.
- Bake in the oven at 180C/356F for 40-45 minutes.
- Enjoy while warm!
Browse more Dessert Recipes or visit our channel to see the videos.