These homemade lemon curd thumbprint cookies are pure perfection! A combination of sweet buttery cookies and citrusy topping with a hint of almonds!
The preparation is quite simple and straight forward:
You need one bowl where you cream the butter and sugar. Add one egg. Make sure the egg is roughly at the same temperature as butter.
Add a pinch of salt.
The almond flavoring is optional so if you don’t have one don’t worry. But if you do, I recommend using it! The cookies will smell amazing after adding a few drops in the mixture.
Once you have added the flour (sifted) form it into dough and chill in the fridge!
Forming balls out of the dough is easy-peasy! Get your kids help you. I am sure they will enjoy it! Rolling them in caster sugar is optional. It won’t change their taste much. If you are after reducing sugar intake, then this is the way to go!
For the filling I used Homemade Lemon Curd. You can use jam instead but lemon curd turns these cookies into heavenly bites!
I also prefer filling thumbprint cookies with lemon curd before baking. It changes its taste slightly and I like it.
Baking these thumbprint cookies only takes a few minutes! Isn’t it great? 10-13 minutes in the oven and you are done!
Thumbprint cookie recipe is one of the easy recipes. It also is pretty fast to make them if you don’t count the chilling in!
Yields 20 Cookies
15 minPrep Time
13 minCook Time
28 minTotal Time
- 1 Egg, at room temperature
- 1 Stick (110g) Unsalted Butter at room temperature
- 8.5oz (240g) Plain Flour
- 2.1oz (60g) Caster Sugar
- Pinch of Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Almond Flavoring (optional)
- 5 Tablespoons Caster Sugar for Coating (optional)
- 15-20 Teaspoons Lemon Curd
- Beat the sugar and butter until creamy. Add egg and mix until well combined. Add pinch of salt and almond flavoring (if using) and mix with a spatula.
- Now sift in the flour. Mix with a spatula for a minute or so. Form dough using your hand. It will feel soft at the beginning but will come together while kneading.
- Wrap in in a cling film and chill in the fridge for 30 minute.
- When the dough is chilled, take it out and form into small balls. You should get about 20 balls. Cover each one in caster sugar (if using) and place them onto a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Use a measuring spoon (or your thumb) to press each ball down to make dents for the lemon curd.
- Fill each one with lemon curd (1/2 – 1 teaspoon).
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180C/356F for 10-13 minutes or until the bottom of the cookies are nice golden brown.
- Once baked, transfer onto a wire rack and let them cool down.
- Keep in an airtight container.
Browse more Dessert Recipes or visit our channel to see the videos.