Surprise your loved ones with this heart shaped pizza pocket! Works well with homemade pizza dough or shop-bought one. It’s fun, tastes amazing and the ingredients can be adjusted to your liking!
Guys, today I have for you this homemade pizza pockets recipe!
What I like about this heart shaped pizza pocket is the fact that you can make one and share it (just make sure it’s large enough to feed both of you). Isn’t that cool?
I personally like the idea of sharing this Valentine’s Calzone pizza. What about you?
Also here are some more pizza ideas if you are looking for some inspiration:
- Calzone Pizza
- Salami Pizza with Cheese and Arugula
- Mini Vegetarian Puff Pastry Pizzas – these are also quick to make, if you are looking for alternatives and quicker recipes. These don’t have to be vegetarian so add some ham or salami if you like!
How to make pizza pockets in the shape of hearts
To make them all you need is pizza dough. You have two options here: If you are in a hurry, just grab 2 pre-rolled ready-made pizza dough’s from your local store OR make Homemade Pizza Dough from Scratch.
If you decide to prepare everything yourself then make sure you allocate enough time for making these homemade pizza pockets. It may take somewhere between 1.5–2 hours. The overall time will mostly depend on how much time your dough needs to rise.
When using shop-bought dough you will reduce your time rapidly – to about 30 minutes.
So you will need two pieces of dough, rolled out thin. Place one onto a baking tray lined with baking paper. Spread the pizza sauce over but make sure to leave the edges clear.
Now it’s time to add the fillings. I used pepperoni, cheddar and blue cheese, tomatoes, chili pepper as well as sweet peppers. I also added arugula and lamb lettuce but these have to be added right before serving. You feel free to add any filling you love!
By the way, this heart shaped pizza pocket is perfect for sharing! Just cut it in half and enjoy it with your loved one!
Good to know before making this heart shaped pizza pocket
- You can use shop-bought pizza dough that has been pre-rolled. In this case the easiest option is to buy 2. Then simply cut out the heart shape.
- Use my quick 3-Minute Homemade Pizza Sauce or buy your favorite one. You can also use pesto instead.
- Fillings – you have unlimited options so it just depends on what you or your guest love. I also added fresh arugula & lamb lettuce. If you decide to use it as well, just serve it separately and fill your pizza pocket once it is baked.
- Make 2 smaller calzone pizza pockets or 1 large and share it with your loved one.
- Baking time can vary. If using shop-bought pizza dough, check the instruction. You might need to bake it a bit longer than stated. When using my homemade pizza dough recipe, 12-15 minutes should be enough to make this heart shaped pizza pocket. If not sure, check the bottom first – it should have nice golden brown color and the top should be hard to touch.
To cut the pizza dough into a heart shape is easy. Don’t worry about a perfect shape. You can stretch or shape the pizza pocket when sealing the edges at a later stage.
What I do is I just cut the top of the heart (the cheeks) with a pizza cutter. You will end up with almost triangle-shaped piece of dough. Then just stretch the bottom part to create the “tip” and you are done. The only dough waste you are left with is the tiny triangle-shaped piece.
Heart Shaped Pizza Pocket
Fillings of your choice:
- 5 Cherry Tomatoes
- ½ Chili
- ¼ cup Onion , diced
- 10 slices Pepperoni
When using homemade pizza dough:
- Divide your dough into 2 equal pieces and roll each of them out thin. Cut each rolled out pizza dough into a heart shape.
When using shop-bought (pre-rolled) pizza dough:
- Cut each rolled out pizza dough into a heart shape.
- Don’t worry if the hearts don’t look perfect or are not looking the same. You can fix this later on.
- Place one dough onto a baking tray lined with baking paper. Spread Pizza Sauce over making sure you don’t spread the sauce up to the edges. Leave about ½ inch (1 cm) free.
- Now top the pizza with anything you like (pepperoni, cheese, tomatoes, mushrooms, ham ...). The amount of the ingredients is up to you. Just make sure you can close the pocket.
- To close the pocket, place the second heart-shaped pizza dough over the filling. If needed, stretch it so you can seal the edges with your fingers by pressing the top dough down.
- You need to double seal the edges so the cheese does not leak out. To do this you take the edge and fold it towards middle and press down. Repeat this until you have created a double seal around the whole heart.
- When using shop-bought pizza dough – follow the package instructions to bake the pizza pocket. When using homemade pizza dough recipe from my blog bake in a preheated oven at 400°F/200°C for 12-15 minutes.
- Total time needed for making this pizza pocket completely from scratch would be 1.5-2 hours. When using shop-bought pizza dough it should take about 30 minutes.
- Pizza dough – if using shop-bought dough, check the package instructions for the baking time and adjust this accordingly. When using this homemade pizza dough recipe, 12-15 minutes should be enough.
- Filling – use any fillings you like. The more filling you add the richer the pizza pocket. Just make sure you can seal it well so the cheese and other ingredients don’t leak out.
- Pizza sauce – buy your favorite sauce or make one from scratch (1tbsp olive oil + 2 garlic cloves, minced + 2 tbsp ketchup + 1 tbsp oregano = mix together and spread over your pizza). Pesto can also be used.
- The pizza will be ready when the top is hard to touch. The bottom and top should look brown as well.