This dairy-free apple pear ginger smoothie is full of vitamins and antioxidants that help your body stay healthy. It’s sweet, creamy and rich in flavor. Only 5 ingredients!
Making a smoothie is the easiest way to get some nutrients in your body. You can use fruits (or veggies) you like, and you can adjust the amounts to your liking.
How to make apple pear ginger smoothie
Blend apples, pears, ginger, apple juice and pulverized oats together until you get a smooth creamy texture.
I pulverized the oats first and then added the rest of the ingredients. Make sure to peel and core the apples and pears first.
This recipe yields 1-quart (1 liter) of smoothie. It can serve 4 (1 cup per person) or 2 (2 cups per person).
Even though this apple pear ginger smoothie has oats in it, it is not a protein-rich smoothie so I recommend combining this with other quick breakfast ideas (Peanut Butter Banana Roll Ups, Ricotta Chocolate Banana Toast).
Are smoothies actually good for you?
Yes! Smoothies (especially the homemade ones) supply your body with nutrients of all sorts (vitamins, antioxidants, minerals) and help you stay healthy.
What is the best fruit to put in a smoothie?
I would say it depends. If you want to make a protein-rich smoothie, then bananas, avocados (yes, they are fruits), raspberries (Raspberry Almond Smoothie) are great choices.
You can pair them with Greek yogurt (Mango Kale Smoothie), almonds, oats (like I did in this apple pear ginger smoothie) milk, peanut butter .…
As you can see, various fruits (even veggies) can be turned into a delicious smoothie. The most important thing to remember is to achieve the right balance when it comes to flavor. For example: spinach is good in a smoothie but if too much is added, you might not enjoy it. Balance it off with the fruits you love.
Tips for making apple pear ginger smoothie
- Use red apples -they are sweeter! I used the Ambrosia variety but you feel free use any kind of red you like. Also make sure the pears you are using to make this apple pear ginger smoothie are sweet.
- I peeled the skin of the fruits as well as remove the hard, middle parts. If you leave the skins on, your processor/blender might not process them completely and you might not like the end result.
- The amount of apple juice you add is entirely up to you. 1½ cup is the minimum.
- Ginger is one of the key ingredients here. That is why I do not recommend omitting it. It adds a ton of flavor to this apple pear ginger smoothie.
- Instead of rolled oats you can use instant oats. Just make sure to pulverize them first before mixing them with the rest of the ingredients to achieve a smooth creamy texture.
- ½ cup Rolled Oats
- 3 Apples - red, peeled, cored & diced
- 3 Pears - sweet, peeled, cored & diced
- 1 thumb-size fresh Ginger , finely grated
- 1½ cup Apple Juice
- Place the oats into your food processor (or blender) and pulse until it looks like powder. Now add the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth (see note 6).
- Best served right-away!
- Make sure to use red apples to make this smoothie (I used the Ambrosia variety).
- Taste the pears first – they should be sweet to achieve the best flavors.
- I don’t recommend omitting the ginger. It gives this smoothie its specific taste and without it you will find it bland. You might want to add more ginger that is stated in the recipe.
- Rolled oats can be substituted with instant oats.
- This recipe yields about 1-quart/1-liter of smoothie. This is about 2 portions (2 cups per person) or 4 portions (1 cup per person). This is not a protein-rich smoothie so it will not keep you full for long. That is why I recommend serving it as a part of your breakfast NOT as the only meal.
- Taste the smoothie and add more ginger or juice (if you prefer it thinner).