I love grilled fish that has been grilling right in front of your eyes somewhere in the garden while you chat with your loved ones and friends. I think I simply love the whole atmosphere more than the actual dish. Yes. I have to admit, I had not been eating much fish until recently. So I have been learning how to enjoy all those different varieties of fish that are on the market.
So far (this year) I have tried a few types of fish (not enough though) and so far my two favorite fish are gilt-head bream and sea bass. These two are delicious when seasoned well and not over cooked (I know what I am talking about as this had not happened once to me. In a fear of having it not cooked properly, I simply overcooked it. And an overcooked fish doesn’t taste nice. So don’t make the same mistake!).
This is my favorite recipe for fish (whether it is cooked in full or filleted) when grilled outside on a barbecue. But because the summer is over and in some countries you may have already experienced quite a dramatic change of weather conditions you can bake it in the oven and get a pretty delicious result too! So here is the recipe:
Oven Baked Sea Bass & Guilt-Head Bream
- Sea Bass or Gilt-Head Bream (Per person : about 350 – 450grams when cooked in full, about 200 grams when filleted) or any other fish of your choice
- A handful of Fresh Flat Parsley Leaves
- 30 ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 1 Lemon
- Salt for seasoning
- Cover your baking tray with tin foil.
- Wash and chop fresh parsley (into any size you like).
- Wash and slice the lemon into about 1/2 cm thick slices.
- In a small bowl or a small cup combine the crushed garlic with olive oil. Add half of the parsley and mix well.
- When buying a fresh fish off the fish counter, ask them to gut it for you. They may as well fillet it, if that’s what you like. I ask for gutting only with heads on. Then I decide whether I would be making the whole fish or use the heads for a fish soup.
- Season the fish first with some salt (a pinch of salt for each fish is plenty). Season both the outside and the inside of the fish.
- Using a spoon spread the mixture inside the fish.
- Put some lemon slices in.
- Sprinkle with more parsley and place onto your baking tray.
- Place in a preheated oven and bake at 180 Degrees Celsius for 15 – 20 minutes or until ready.
- Place the fish fillets the skin side down onto your baking tray.
- Season with salt, spread the mix over, cover with lemon slices and you are done.
- Place in a preheated oven and bake at 180 Degrees Celsius for 10 – 15 minutes or until ready.
- Serve with roast potatoes, salad or just a few sliced of grilled bread.
- If you want to get a nice grilled look on the fish, take it out 2 – 3 minutes earlier and place on a grill pan (with melted butter). Cook until nice and soft and grill marks are visible.