This homemade vegan potato pizza is loaded with simple yet flavorful ingredients! Delicious & healthier version of the classic cheesy pizza won’t definitely disappoint you when it comes to its taste! Vegans, vegetarians or carnivores (who don’t need to eat meat 24/7) – everyone will love it!
Now I am a pizza lover! Not the shop bought versions of pizza lover, though. Not anymore! I have to admit there was a time in my life when I was addicted to Dr. Oetker’s Ristorante Mozzarella pizza. This packaged convenience food tasted amazing to me and even after a few quite successful attempts at making homemade pizza I would still have preferred the frozen version!
But! Those frozen pizza days are long gone now and so is my Dr. Oetker pizza craving! Now it is all about my homemade pizzas! They can be topped with anything really, depending on what is in your fridge at the time of making.
And that brings me to the other day when our fridge looked pretty sad! By sad I mean pretty empty. There were hardly items there I could have used as pizza toppings.
I have to confess I was not planning on making a vegan friendly pizza! It sort of happened! You see like many other pizza lovers I couldn’t imagine a pizza without cheese. I was sure that a pizza without cheese would be like… like a tennis player without a tennis racket, like a guitar player without his guitar or … well you got the point, right?
But you know like many times before I wasn’t going to run to the shop to get cheese.
It was time to improvise!
It did not take me long to figure out what the pizza topping would be. Potatoes! Yes! The moment I noticed them in the basket in the corner of our kitchen it hit me! Potato pizza! The picture I saw long time ago somewhere on the Internet came back to me and so it was a done deal!
I did not follow any Italian recipe (well, any recipe to be honest) so please do not compare this with the Italian version. This is my own take on homemade potato pizza, using the ingredients that I had on hand!
Now I made this homemade vegan potato pizza 2 times. The first time I made it with fresh-raw potatoes, the other time with pre-cooked potatoes. You can do it both ways. I personally prefer the second option as it normally takes way longer than 15 minutes to bake potatoes in the oven and you might end up with dried out pizza crust (this might depend on the oven I suppose – mine is very very basic).
The extra virgin olive oil is optional but it adds nice flavor while the onion adds some crunchiness to the bite. And parsley? Parsley is my favorite herb and I think it goes hand in hand with the rest of the ingredients and gives this potato pizza some extra flavor.
All in all this is one delicious homemade potato pizza! It’s filling but not heavy! And it’s vegan! And vegetarian! But! If you like pizza and are an ordinary person who eats anything (and everything) you will enjoy it too! But believe me it’s worth giving it a go!
Check out my other pizza recipes:
Homemade Vegan Potato Pizza
- 1 Pizza Dough (Check out my homemade Pizza Dough Recipe)
- 1 Large Potato
- A Handful of Fresh Flat Leaf Parsley
- 1 Small Onion
- Pizza Sauce
- A Pinch of Salt
- A Drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
First things first:
- Wash, peel & thinly slice the potato. Place it in a small pot filled with about a cup of cold water. Add a pinch of salt. Boil the potato slices for 5 minutes – don’t overcook them. You don’t wanna end up with mashed potatoes instead.
- Preheat the oven to 230C/450F.
- Wash and chop the parsley. Finely or roughly – any way you like. Peel and dice the onion. Make pizza sauce (have a look at my Pizza Sauce Recipe) or open your favorite pizza sauce bottle/jar.
- Drain the potatoes. Let them cool down.
- Roll out your dough. Place it on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Top with pizza sauce of your choice (I suggest to put a bit more than you are used to for the extra bit of flavor), cooked sliced potatoes and finish off with diced onion.
- Bake at 230C/450F for 12-15 minutes.
- Take out. Garnish with chopped parsley and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
- The end!
Jess @ Sweetest Menu says
Homemade pizza is so much better than storebought! And this one looks incredible – I love potato pizza! Have to give this a go as a great weekend meal!
Julia | Happy Foods Tube says
It is indeed! Wouldn’t agree with you a few years back, though :)! Thanks for stopping by Jess!