Easy honey lemon grilled chicken recipe. Chicken thighs are flavored with homemade grill seasoning, marinated in honey, lemon and garlic & grilled to perfection!
The recipe for this honey lemon marinade for grilled chicken is my mom’s. She has been marinating chicken for grilling this way for a good while now and everyone loves it.
Well, no wonder! Not only does this honey lemon grilled chicken sound amazing but it also tastes amazing!
That was why I did not want to leave home without her giving me that recipe. Now apparently she uses grill seasoning from Austria because it is her favorite one for grilling. I think a friend of hers buys this for her once in a while when she returns from her travels.
Now I did not use any shop-bought grill seasoning. I felt like making my own would be the best option here. So all I did was check the Austrian seasoning’s packaging for ingredients so I could make it myself.
Guys, it is pretty easy to make so hopefully you will give it a go yourselves too. You have nothing to lose here. On the contrary – you will make your honey lemon grilled chicken taste divine!
How to make honey grilled chicken:
Let’s divide the whole process into 4 simple steps:
Step 1 – Make homemade grill seasoning
Like I’ve said it is pretty simple and only takes a few minutes to make. You will need 4 spices + salt: Combine these in a small bowl and you are done. You can move onto the next step.
Step 2 – Prepare honey lemon marinade
Now this grilled chicken also needs a good marinade like this one! In a bowl/zip-lock bag or a casserole dish mix together honey, olive oil, garlic and lemon juice. That’s it.
Step 3 – Season + Marinate
Season each chicken thigh well (I used 2/3 of a teaspoon per side) and place them in the bag or bowl/casserole dish where you have the marinade. Close or cover with cling film and refrigerate for 3+ hours, for best results overnight.
Step 4 – Grill
The grilling will take about 12-15 minutes per side when using bone-in chicken thighs. Check with thermometer or cut one thigh in half to see if it is cooked well (it should not be pink inside).
- Chicken thighs, bone in – use boneless thighs. You could also use breasts or drumsticks but thighs are the best for grilling.
- Homemade grill seasoning – if you have your favorite grill seasoning on hand, then go ahead and use that.
- Extra virgin olive oil – vegetable or sunflower will work as well.
More grilling & chicken recipes:
- Yogurt Marinated Grilled Chicken
- Grilled Boneless Chicken Thighs
- Grilled Turkey Kabobs
- Grilled Corn
- Balsamic Chicken Skewers
- Grilled Whole Fish
- Baked Curry Chicken Wings
- Spicy Sticky Chicken Wings
Want to see how to make Honey Lemon Grilled Chicken? Watch the video!
Honey Lemon Grilled Chicken
- 2 lb Chicken Thighs , bone-in (1kg)
- First prepare the grill seasoning by combining paprika, ginger, oregano, thyme and salt.
- Now, make the marinade: Mix together honey, lemon juice, minced garlic and olive oil.
- Season each chicken thigh well with grill seasoning (about 2/3 of a teaspoon per side) and place them in a large zip-lock bag or a bowl/casserole dish. Pour marinade over and cover the dish (or close the bag) with cling film.
- Refrigerate for 3+ hours, best overnight before grilling. It will take about 12-15 minutes per side. Check the readiness with thermometer or cut one in half. The chicken should not be pink anymore.
- Serve with salad, rice, potatoes or anything you like!