Easy honey lemon grilled chicken recipe. Chicken thighs are flavored with homemade grill seasoning, marinated in honey, lemon and garlic & grilled to perfection!
The recipe for this honey lemon marinade for grilled chicken is my mom’s. She has been marinating chicken for grilling this way for a good while now and everyone loves it.
Well, no wonder! Not only does this honey lemon grilled chicken sound amazing but it also tastes amazing!
That was why I did not want to leave home without her giving me that recipe. Now apparently she uses grill seasoning from Austria because it is her favorite one for grilling. I think a friend of hers buys this for her once in a while when she returns from her travels.
Now I did not use any shop-bought grill seasoning. I felt like making my own would be the best option here. So all I did was check the Austrian seasoning’s packaging for ingredients so I could make it myself.
Guys, it is pretty easy to make so hopefully you will give it a go yourselves too. You have nothing to lose here. On the contrary – you will make your honey lemon grilled chicken taste divine!
How to make honey grilled chicken:
Let’s divide the whole process into 4 simple steps:
Step 1 – Make homemade grill seasoning
Like I’ve said it is pretty simple and only takes a few minutes to make. You will need 4 spices + salt: Combine these in a small bowl and you are done. You can move onto the next step.
Step 2 – Prepare honey lemon marinade
Now this grilled chicken also needs a good marinade like this one! In a bowl/zip-lock bag or a casserole dish mix together honey, olive oil, garlic and lemon juice. That’s it.
Step 3 – Season + Marinate
Season each chicken thigh well ( I used 2/3 of a teaspoon per side) and place them in the bag or bowl/casserole dish where you have the marinade. Close or cover with cling film and refrigerate for 3+ hours, for best results overnight.
Step 4 – Grill
The grilling will take about 12-15 minutes per side when using bone-in chicken thighs. Check with thermometer or cut one thigh in half to see if it is cooked well (it should not be pink inside).
- Chicken thighs, bone in – use boneless thighs. You could also use breasts or drumsticks but thighs are the best for grilling.
- Homemade grill seasoning – if you have your favorite grill seasoning on hand, then go ahead and use that.
- Extra virgin olive oil – vegetable or sunflower will work as well.
More grilling & chicken recipes:
- Yogurt Marinated Grilled Chicken
- Grilled Corn
- Balsamic Chicken Skewers
- Grilled Whole Fish
- Baked Curry Chicken Wings
- Spicy Sticky Chicken Wings
Want to see how to make Honey Lemon Grilled Chicken? Watch the video!
Easy honey lemon grilled chicken recipe. Chicken thighs are flavored with homemade grill seasoning, marinated in honey, lemon and garlic & grilled to perfection.
- 2 lb Chicken Thighs , bone-in (1kg)
- First prepare the grill seasoning by combining paprika, ginger, oregano, thyme and salt.
- Now, make the marinade: Mix together honey, lemon juice, minced garlic and olive oil.
Season each chicken thigh well with grill seasoning (about 2/3 of a teaspoon per side) and place them in a large zip-lock bag or a bowl/casserole dish. Pour marinade over and cover the dish (or close the bag) with cling film.
- Refrigerate for 3+ hours, best overnight before grilling. It will take about 12-15 minutes per side. Check the readiness with thermometer or cut one in half. The chicken should not be pink anymore.
- Serve with salad, rice, potatoes or anything you like!