Homemade sweet potato flatbread is a delicious 2-ingredient side dish! This oil-free and yeast free flatbread goes well with curry, duck or grilled meats!
Sweet potato flatbread! Roti! Guys, my mouth is watering every time I talk or think about this easy yeast-free bread. I love to fill them with roasted chickpea but you would also see me spreading butter over while they are still hot, topping them with grated cheese and sprinkling them with salt.
You know, sweet potato flatbread reminds me of my childhood when my grandmother would make lokše.
They are made with white potatoes and are similar to Indian roti. We would eat them with butter and salt. On occasions they would be served with roasted duck and sautéed cabbage which is another delicious option.
Now guys, no matter what flatbread you try to make you will be in for a treat.
How to make flatbread from sweet potatoes
Start off with boiling sweet potatoes. It will take about 7-10 minutes to cook them thoroughly. Peel them, dice them and place them in a small pot. Pour water in – just enough to cover them.
Drain the water, let them cool down a bit and mash them with a fork or potato ricer. Add flour and using your hands form into sticky dough. Dip this dough in flour and roll it into a sausage. Divide it into 8 pieces.
Each piece should be rolled out thin. It will be sticky so make sure you dust your work top and each dough piece well.
Cook in a frying pan without any oil whatsoever. It will take about 2 minutes to cook each flatbread (about a minute per side). Medium-low heat is ideal. The bubbles will form but this is good. They help to cook the flatbread.
Storage: Sweet potato flatbreads can be stored in the freezer and defrosted when needed. However they always taste best when fresh.
This sweet potato flatbread recipe is suitable for vegetarians and vegans as well. Those who don’t like or don’t have sweet potatoes can use white potatoes instead.
Want to see how to make Sweet Potato Flatbread? Watch the video!
And here are more sweet potato recipes:
- Grilled Sweet Potato Salad
- Instant Pot Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Buckwheat Burgers
- Chocolate Chip Sweet Potato Pancakes
Homemade Sweet Potato Flatbread
- 1 cup Sweet Potatoes , mashed (1 Large Sweet Potato)
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour + extra for dusting, about (½ cup)
- Wash, peel and dice sweet potatoes. Place them in a pot and pour in water – just enough to cover them. Bring them to a boil and cook until soft.
- Drain the water. Using a fork mash them as finely as possible. Let them cool down a bit before adding flour.
- Form sticky dough. Flour your work surface as well as the dough (be generous with the flour). Divide it into 8 pieces and form each piece into a round shape. Now roll out each piece until thin.
- Cook on a hot and dry frying pan for about 2 minutes (1 minute per side).
- Best served warm (buttered and salted) as a side.